Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Damned Copperheads

fritz

Just a few minutes ago I heard one of my dogs yelp, and upon searching the yard with a spotlight, I saw a copperhead in the same place as the one that bit me last summer.

I called for mrs fritz to bring the pistol while I kept it in the spotlight. I blew it into pieces, but it had already done it's dirty work. My best young dog was bit on the leg.

The snake was real small, much smaller than the copperhead that bit me. But since the bite is on the leg, I have heard it is worse on a dog there.

Tomorrow will tell.

Dammit, I am tired of these snakes. To all of you out there, please do me a favor and kill every one of these God forsaken bastards that you see.

fritz

That I can remember, I have never failed to kill any copperhead I've run across. Nor cottonmouths. And Lord knows we do have a whole bunch of both.

I have to wonder though, if a copperhead would explode in the same manner as the did the last cottonmouth I killed. Apparently, the .303 is good medicine for sneaky-but-unlucky cottonmouths. Although I generally save a bullet in lieu of a blunt object for copperheads, I'll have to find out next time.

All this from a guy who generally takes a dim view of killing snakes...

In the past year I was looking for some pictures of copperheads and I discovered that at least in some areas copperheads are protected by law now. My memory is foggy but I am pretty sure they are protected here in Indiana and I think some other states too. That is a stupid law in my opinion and I believe if they were wiped off the face of the earth we would all be the better for it. For all those that feel differently you are welcome to my share of all snakes as long as you keep them in YOUR BACK YARD.

I hate the little rusty bastards too,and what a dumbass it would take to pass a law to protect them.Lets protect mesquitoes and ticks too.I've got a copperhead den somewhere on a 5 acre track I own,and would sure like to find it and put an end to them.Everytime I mow,I have to get a stick and go all over the motor and batterybox on my tractor to make sure there's not any copperheads riding with me,and still sometimes when I crank up,one will come crawling out from under something and looking for something to bite.fritz,your pup will probably be alright after about a week,and if he's like dogs we've had that's been bit,he'll have a nose for them now,and with you having grandbaby now,that's a real good thing.When my youngest brother was 2 or 3 yrs. old,we had a German Shepard that was knocking him down one day,just running into him and laying him out,and he'd get up,and she'd do it again.He was squalling and balling,and when dad saw what she was doing,he grabbed a stick of firewood and headed towards her to beat the living crap out of her,but before he got to them,he stepped on the biggest copperhead we'd ever seen.She was pushing my brother away from the snake.She was a young dog,but was bitten when a pup,and she never forgot the smell of them.Jerry

The dog looks OK this morning, and it appears the bite was on the face after all. There was a little blood on the leg, but that probably came from the wound on the snout.

She has the big head now (swollen) and will have to eat soft food and drink plenty of water for awhile. I remember my last lab got bit about three times, by a rattlesnake the first time when he took the bite meant for me, and he swoll up less each time. They seem to build up an immunity after a few bites. But the rattlesnake bite leaves a bare patch on the snout for a long time.

One vet told me years ago to not worry about a bite on their head. And he said it wasn't necessary to bring him in. Another vet looked at him and gave him some shots to ease the pain, but that's about all that's needed.

I find it hard to believe that any state would pass a law protecting the bastards, they are not an endangered species (let me rephrase that--they are very endangered around here, but for obvious reasons). Obviously any state legislator that would sponsor such a law has never been bitten by one of them

I have, and I wish that everyone who likes snakes will get bitten by one. Not once (if the first bite does not do them in) but several times. Maybe they'll develop an immunity to the venom.

We could use them as guinea pigs.

fritz

Damned no good inbred bunny huggin' culls in our conservation department put it in our state wildlife regs a few years ago that ALL snakes are protected ,notice how the sneekin' low lifes made it a regulation,they knew theyd get it rammed in their backside if they tried to go through the state legislator and make it a statute.You should of seen the look on the face of the squinty eyed little long dress wearing bee-itch that was pushing it when several of us promised we wouldn't kill em' on our farms but would capture them alive and relocate them(her suggestion for problem reptiles)to her yard and her childerens play ground,nobody ever did it that I know of but we did repeat her address to her to make sure we had it correct.I did however take them what was left of the last deer that cost me a insurance deductable,had to haul it 50 miles to leave it in there parking lot but told them since they werent going to do anything about my truck they needed to do somthing with there stinking carcase as I didnt want it stinking up the hog & turkey farms in my area,damn funny how if you do one little thing outside there regulations they'll hang your ass over their deer but hit one and tear a rig up and your on your own.We've not had a decent game warden for years around here,all we get is these little wet behind the ears college educated pricks that dont have sense enough to know that the BOOK can't cover it all ,but if it aint in the book ....Damnit I hate possum cops and copperheads. Jim

A Marine brother of mine lives in Kentucky. The state released something like 5000 of some kind of dwarf rattlesnakes in his area. They were endangered you know, can't have that. He said that his family is doing everything in their power to make them endangered again. Who could be so stupid as to do a thing like that, but do-gooders from the city.

Up here in Minnesota it is the timberwolves. More city-kitty legislators protecting predators. Some of my family has hunting land about 60miles from Canada. Some years ago they were preparing for deer season, fixing stands and sighting in rifles. The game warden stopped in to see them. He was wet and ornery. He told them that if a timberwolf happened to die FROM ANY CAUSE on their land, to hang the radio collar in a tree. He said that he was tired of having to swim in blueberry swamps to find them. He cussed the wolves high and low and left. Why do we need timberwolves again??? I know that many were released in Idaho only to severely damage the elk population. We occasionally have wolves around here traveling solo. I have heard reports of several coyotes getting together and chasing them off.

You nailed it Kieth! It's folks that don't have to put up with this stuff that wants it,we sure don't need timber wolves, there is a damn good reason our forefathers worked so hard at getting rid of em' and it takes a complete idiot to think different.I've heard rumors of MDC releasing pigmy rattlers here too,what a waste of my tax dollars not to mention human skin used on the fools that dreamed it up. Jim

I believe I read somewhere that in states where they released wolves the SOP was to burry them where they got capped. How anyone would want to protect copperheads or rattlesnakes is beyond me. Sorry, I see one, it's dead if it's still there when I come back with a weapon. I've capped a few copperheads here in NW AR. Fortunately, my critters or us peoples haven't been bit.

Latest thing is the bunny huggers sueing to protect some swamp or something in east Arkansas to protect the Ivory Billed Woodpecker, which may or may not be extinct. Someone claimed to take a fuzzy picture of one, so they sued to "protect" some huge number of acres. It is insane.

Dr.Hess

I heard about that woodpecker story.

The stupid bastards can't even agree among themselves if it was indeed an ivory billed pecker.

And this is America, land of the free, home of the brave.

Let me add one more adjective to it---"Home of the ignorant" (which includes tree huggers, snake lovers, and vegetarians).

None of which are worth the sweat off my balls.

fritz

"I have to wonder though, if a copperhead would explode in the same manner as the did the last cottonmouth I killed. "

I can tell you this---I have shot one coiled up in a cinder block (the hollow ones) with a 7mm mauser. I can not be certain which exploded first, the block or the snake, but after all was said and done--there was no more block and no more snake.

I love it when that happens.

fritz

I figured there might be a vegetarian or two here, but these fellows don't help me in my line of work.

I raise beef.

fritz

Doc,

Here in the Piney Woods, the environmentalists get their shorts in a wad over the Red Cockaided (sp?) Woodpecker. Somebody showed me picture of what one looked like once - looked like every other woodpecker I've ever seen; except these were endangered. Go figure.

I love it when that happens.

Me too. There's probably still pieces of it falling. I don't know why, but this impressed me somehow. I have killed many snakes in my life, but I've never quite seen one explode like that before. Pretty cool if you ask me...

I did just a little internet searching and found several states that protect snakes of all kinds and copperheads were mentioned specifically. I suspect that there are many states that have those laws. Very, very stupid. Another thing I don't understand is protecting crows. I have not researched the reasoning behind their being protected but on the surface it seems like another dumb law. I can't believe we flip the bill to pay these dumb ass politicians to sit around and dream up this crap. These idiots are more dangerous than the snakes.

I'd like to see what explodes first,the politician setting on a cinder block,or the block.Both the hollow kind.I'd rather be a meatatarian than a vegetarian,and I've hugged a commode a few times hollering for Ralf and Earl.To hell with rattle snakes,cottonmouths,and copperheads,and lawyers.Jerry

Mauserfever,the crow thing has to do with ducks and Mexico.I've read it a time or two but can't remember the details something to the effect that in order to get some kind of limits on ducks south of the border we had to put seasons on crows here in the states(seems this agreement might even include Canada ??),but I can't remember why they were so big on crows. And Horsefly I think we need to do a test on the politician, block thing,probably need to do it thousands and thousands of times to make sure we come up with the right info,before trying it with lawyers. Jim

Don't have many nasty snakes around here fortunately, but I did have a nasty experience with rattle snakes when I was in SD hunting prarrie dogs last fall. None of the other guys in our group saw any other than the ones I pointed out, but I ran across 6 of the SOB's when I was out walking. Got so damned jumpy I couldn't shoot anymore. Seems like every time I turned around there was another damned snake sneaking up on me.

Kinda hard to aim a 22-250 that is ranged for a 300 yard shot at a point blank snake, but I managed to put the fear of god into three of the six if I didn't send them to meet him personally.

I'm doing my best to cause the extinction of as many species of undesirables as I can.

As to wolves, we have a don't ask, don't tell policy around here. Coyotes are fair game and I figure it is hard to tell them apart anyway if you don't try real hard.

I believe here in Minnesota it is always ok to shoot crows if they are causing destruction. I believe that the attitude in my neck or the woods is they either are destroying something or about to. When I lived in AZ I accidently stepped on all of the smaller rattlers that I saw. Never encountered any too big. The smaller ones are rumored to be more dangerous as they have not developed venom control, and hit ya with everything they have.

"The smaller ones are rumored to be more dangerous as they have not developed venom control, and hit ya with everything they have."

I have heard that too, and it makes sense. The adult rattler (or any other pit viper) has the inbred sense of controlling the amount of venom it injects into it's prey, so as to leave some in reserve.

Talk of conservative snakes! The bastards are saving some for their next victim. And it could be you, but hopefully it will be one of the misguided few that occupy office space in some state conservation department.

As to crows, I am old enough to remember the little siesos almost putting my father out of the peanut raising business. Peanuts were one of the few profitable crops around here when my father and mother were trying to scrape out a living on poor sandy soil. We were not blessed with the rich river bottom soils on the other side of the county (I still think my ancestors should have put that wheel back on the wagon and kept heading west).

Crows loved peanuts, and the little bastards would wait until a farmer had dug them to the surface and then raid them before the thresher could get there. Ask anyone my age about crows!

Note my new signature line.

fritz

Crows are very sporting to hunt. I am not up on the current regulations on hunting them - we Texans probably need a $15 stamp to shoot non-migratory nuisance birds - but I do know a game warden that hunts them, so I figure I'm fine with trying to slip up on a couple every once in a while. Trouble is, crows are thrice as sneaky as copperheads flee much quicker. Copperheads on the other hand, make interesting hides if properly tanned. I'm going to make a hat band out of one some day.

"Copperheads however, make interesting hides if properly tanned. I'm going to make a hat band out of one some day. Even better would be a coral snake!"

Wait until you have been bitten by one of these snakes that God has damned after the Garden of Eden affair. You just might have a flashback experience when you see that bit of snake on your head.

Not for me. I say "Kill 'em all, and let God sort 'em out".

Seems that the Marines (or is it the Army) has that same saying.

fritz

Even snopes, (those fellows who follow up on claims of the abnormal) have this to say about snakes--

Claim: Snakes have been used as hold-up weapons.

Origins: And

more often than you might think too. Here's one such incident from 1998:

INDIA - Muggers with snakes are terrorising women in central New Delhi, a newspaper reported today. In the latest incident three men with snakes draped over their necks and arms surrounded a three-wheeled taxi and started thrusting the snakes toward the passenger. The passenger handed over money and jewellery and the trio ran away. Police say the same men have attacked several other women.

And another from 1994:

Two people taking a late night stroll in Camden, New Jersey were robbed at snakepoint. A car pulled up near the couple and two men got out, shoving a black snake in their faces. Then two other men got out and went through the victims' pockets. Police said the robbers made off with $20 in cash, a $30 personal stereo and a $95 watch.

"Robbed at snakepoint" -- yeah, I like that line

Me too,

fritz

Snakes ,Crows !!!!!!!!!! Enemy # one round here !!!!!!!! WE get King browns & Copper heads on our place & I have to deal with Tiapans up north ! It's not uncommon for the misses to wander inside muttering about a snake & then wander out side again with the 410 followed by a bang ! They tell me that snakes are protected over here these days unless their attacking ! Well the way I see it we must be under a constant seige !!!!

As for Crows they peck out the eyes of new born lambs ect their not protected ! Plus the fact I got in the deep ###### with the bride over a Crow !!!! I saw one sitting out the back in a tree,so I grabed the .223 (as one does ) & lent out the back door to send it straight to hell ! (as one does) Now we have two back doors & the one I chose to shoot out of is right by the Toilet window & the Missus happened to be in the toilet when I let fly !!!! Now I have never experianced the concusstion of a .223 in a confined area but she tells me it's impressive to say the least ! Needless to say this was the end of discharging a fire arm in our house at a target out side ! The way I see it it was all the Crows fault

Dave

Dave could you give us your best guesstament on just how much ductape it took to put your arse back on after the Missus explained the effects of muzzle blast to you.It took over a roll and a half for me,but a crow didn't cause it a telemarketer did.Before we got on the no call list you couldn't do anything without the phone ringing and some trying to sell you something so one day I loaded up my 44mag and laid it on top of the frig and every time one would call I would just step out on the back porch and hold the phone and 44 out trogether and let fly,really enjoyed the hell out of it too till momma got home and I didn't know it, she was just getting out of her rig and coming up the sidewalk after a long day at work when she says the door flew open and I stuck a damn big pistol out of it and went to cussin rarein' and shootin'.Yep I'd say a good roll and a half maybe two now that I get to thinking about it. Jim