Military Firearm Restoration Corner

P 17 Questions

i have picked up a BSA p17 that has been partially sporterized.The action has been steamlined and drilled and tapped for a scope and nicely blead blasted.It also been fitted with 3.60 inch commercial magazine box. However it has no bolt stop,extractor,mag spring,follower or any trigger parts. I was trying to put together a list of parts required to put this gun together and checking out Numrichs web site when I saw that they list the P14 eddystone and winchester followers seperate. They have no p17 parts listed. What is the difference.if any, between the two and which would work best for my application?Also if any one knows where there is a decent schematic on line for p17s,could you let me know. I have never had one apart before and it is hart to tell all I need to order.

P-14's were not fully standardized among the manufacturers, hence the reason for the different followers. suspect this was resolved for M17 manufacture. Regardless, you'll need specific M17 hardware, particularly in the area of the mag bits, as they were redesigned for the longer rimless cartridge.

Numrich parts for 1917's are listed under us military, not enfield I ordered a 1917 bolt stop and perch from them for a p14. The only difference between the 14 and 17 is the perch. Then 17's look nicer, both work. Numrich lists parts by manufarture because if you are restoring a rifle you don't want a part marked E on a winchester. All the parts between 1917's and P14 are interchangeable except for the bolt group. If you need to do minor fitting, it's because of varying manufactors tolorances. The p14 follower is also shorter, size the follower by the cartridge you intend to use, magnum mauser followers work well in long mag's.

-Don

The .416 Rigby is larger and holds 122 gr. of water, compared to the .416 Rem holding 97 gr. of water. Regardless, they are near ballistic twins due to the Rigby's lower pressure limits. Both can achieve over 5000 ft. lb. of energy with a 400 gr. bullet.

http://ammoguide.com/?catid=164

http://ammoguide.com/?catid=151

Spiris

That's a very fine,custom looking rifle Dr Scott!!! I always kinda had a yearning for a 1917,but not kinda anymore.Got to have one,and I'm planning on going to Africa next year,and think a .416 would be the berries.Jerry

Wisners has magnum followers. LA rem 700 followers work also. The ejector are different because the 303 is a rimmed cartridge. If you're converting calibers I'd use a 1917 ejector. The mag boxed are sized for shell length, 303 being the shortest. I've got a rem 700 follower in one my p14's with a long magnum box from numrich. It fit perfectly.

-Don