Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Find From My Smith

R.Neumann

I was at my gunsmiths house today and I saw a rifle with no bolt face down in a barrel of old stocks.I pulled it out and lo and behold it is a mauser minus the bolt in a sporter stock. Now I dont know too much about mausers but this one says. Fabrica de Armas and below that Oveido and below that the number 1897.

We talked about it a bit and it seems someone wanted it sporterized but never came back for it. The hump has been milled and the rifle has been d&t for a scope but it retains the slot for strippers.

Anyway I asked him if he wanted to get rid of it and he says 50 bucks. Needless to say I bought it but I know next to nothing about it. What would be a good caliber conversion for this little fella? I am guessing small ring here so it was probably 7X57. I am pretty sure this is classified as an antique with that date on it but the barrel is pretty pitted(original barrel)

I would restore it but with the milling and drilling it is a moot point. So lets soup this baby up. Any ideas? 6.5x55 or something maybe?

Also if anyone knows where to find a bolt for it I would be grateful.

Fabrica de Armas and below that Oveido and below that the number 1897.

It sounds pretty much Latino for sure. Spanish, Mexican, Chilean, etc. Surely there are some markings somewhere to help out on this.

It wouldn't hurt to have it slugged, but hey, if it's 7x57, that's a pretty good chamber anyway, provided the riflings and crown are strong. Otherwise, threads should be same as the Swede. There are still plenty of new Swedish warehouse barrels out there. The 29" seems to be getting scarce but I'm still seeing ads for M38 and M94 barrels.

It's been a while since I've had a Latino, but seems the guides are different and the Swede bolt will not work, even if you could find one, which is next to impossible. So you will need to find a Latino bolt.

I was at my gunsmiths house today and I saw a rifle with no bolt face down in a barrel of old stocks.I pulled it out and lo and behold it is a mauser minus the bolt in a sporter stock. Now I dont know too much about mausers but this one says. Fabrica de Armas and below that Oveido and below that the number 1897.

We talked about it a bit and it seems someone wanted it sporterized but never came back for it. The hump has been milled and the rifle has been d&t for a scope but it retains the slot for strippers.

Anyway I asked him if he wanted to get rid of it and he says 50 bucks. Needless to say I bought it but I know next to nothing about it. What would be a good caliber conversion for this little fella? I am guessing small ring here so it was probably 7X57. I am pretty sure this is classified as an antique with that date on it but the barrel is pretty pitted(original barrel)

I would restore it but with the milling and drilling it is a moot point. So lets soup this baby up. Any ideas? 6.5x55 or something maybe?

Also if anyone knows where to find a bolt for it I would be grateful.

Well it is definately a spanish mauser check on the left side for any info about when it was made.

The spanish made copies of the 1893, 1894 and 98 mausers. Your mauser is most likely one of the first 2. Stay with catridges like the 7x57, 7.65 argentine etc

it sounds like either a 93 or 1916 which are esentially the same gun. I converted one to a short barreled 6.5x55. I like it a lot. I actually have the original stripped square bottom bolt for it. I replaced the original one thinking it was causing a bad head space until i pulled the barrel and found out when it was converted to 7.62 cetme it was done poorly.

it sounds like either a 93 or 1916 which are esentially the same gun. I converted one to a short barreled 6.5x55. I like it a lot. I actually have the original stripped square bottom bolt for it. I replaced the original one thinking it was causing a bad head space until i pulled the barrel and found out when it was converted to 7.62 cetme it was done poorly.

So you feel like getting rid of that bolt? shoot me an email ifn ya feel like it. I am having a pickle of a time getting this barrel off.

Flat bottom bolts for these are easy to find. It's the 1895 Chilean Mausers that have the round bottom bolt that are hard to find bolts for. Some of these were also converted to 7.62 Nato, and they will not accept a flat bottom bolt.

If it says Oviedo, it's Spanish.

fritz

Recently I got a Spanish 1916 with a flat bolt. Its in very good condition, but I don't really dare to shoot it because its a 308.

One of these days I'm going to convert it back to 7X57.

Recently I got a Spanish 1916 with a flat bolt. Its in very good condition, but I don't really dare to shoot it because its a 308.

One of these days I'm going to convert it back to 7X57.

The fact that it is Spanish, with some questions floating around as to the soundness of those receivers, I suppose that one could be concerned about the safety of shooting hot .308 loads in them.

I have a Chilean Modelo 1895 that was converted to 7.62 Nato. I shoot it with reloads that are on the mild side. I saw no reason to rebarrel, with the associated costs, when I already have several of the 7x57mm Mausers. If I thought it was unsafe, I would sell it as such.

If you want to sell that .308 barrel someday, let me know.

fritz

Awhile back, I was gonna replace the barrel on my 1916 M93 back to a 7x57 and put the 308 barrel on my turk 38. Well the reciever had been shortened a bit and the barrel was likewise short. Too bad the atf turks aint small ring threaded... Anyhow, she's back to 308 and I been shootin it right along w/ cast bullets. The turk is temporarily a 7x57!!. Just a heads up for ya if you are looking to rebarrel. With any luck you may not find the problems I encountered... Good Luck. MV BTW note how the converted 1916's fit in the stock, you'll see it, if it's like mine.