Military Firearm Restoration Corner

8x57 Reamer

Rustybore

My friend ordered a reamer, 8x57, from Midway and received it the other day. The concern is with the length of the solid pilot. He related to me via phone, we live in different states, that the pilot end of the reamer is a little over an inch long. This seems excessive to me, but I have never seen an 8x57 reamer before. Does this sound correct? Am I explaining it correctly? He plans to build an 8mm sporter and needs to finish the chamber.

Kevin in Or.

Rustybore,

That won't hurt anything. Tell him to mske sure and use a good sulpher based cutting oil. You should see the length of the pilot on my 8x68 reamer. Not so much the pilot itself but the leade, it's got to be three inches long.

Does the solid pilot match the bore (lands) of the barrel? It should be a tad, very scientific term I know, samller than the bore. If too small or oversized send it to Gave Kiff at ptg and he will convert it to a removable pilot.

Tell your buddy to post pics here and keep us posted. We love projects like this!

Thanks, z1r, I'll give him a call tonite. I think I will take over the project. He has a strait tube in 8mm and is going to turn it down to sporter on his lathe. I have a piece of walnut I had cut from a tree about fifteen years ago and am planning to use that. I had it turned into a classic sporter style before I moved here, by what is now Guns Stocks of America, I think. Anyway, the place is located in Yuba City, Ca. I have the action and need another hunting rifle like another hole in the head. All of the recent builds have been on synthetic stocks and thought I should utilize this one and build a nice sporter. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Kevin in Or.