Military Firearm Restoration Corner

How To Make A Vz-24 Lower Band Screw W/o A Lathe

milsurpcollector

Get yourself some 10-32 pan head screws Flathead 1 1/2 inches long. Cut about 1/4 in off the screw using a dremel or hacksaw. To secure the wobly head in a vice thread 2 of the nuts all the way to the head and use these to hold the screw while you cut it.

After cutting chuck the nuts that are still on the screw head into the collect on your drill press or hand drill. use a grinding stone, file (slow) or something to slim the diameter of the screw so it will fit through the stock.

Remove from drill press. chuck the threaded part (or what used to be threaded back into the chuck and grind the diameter of the head to the correct size.

Now with the drill still spinning flatten the head by grinding and there you have it.

I made these because many VZ's come with band screws with the 2 dots and I am too cheap to buy a spanner, also I have not attained enough skill to make a spanner.

I was surprised by how close the screw looked like an original band screw (at least the head part)

I mess around with military cofiguration weapons, I turn sporters back into the original. Only with better barrels and usually scopes.

post-132-1146273203_thumb.jpg

post-132-1146273233_thumb.jpg

Get a screwdriver at the flea market whose head is about the width of the screw. Mark the width of the "dots on the blade. Then, use your dremel cutoff wheel to remove the material between the marks. Viola, you now have a dollar spanner.

I made mine like Z's,and I went about half way up the blade and bent it to a 90 degree angle,only because the screw driver I used had a crappy handle that was hard to hold.Jerry

Guest Guest

I made mine like Z's,and I went about half way up the blade and bent it to a 90 degree angle,only because the screw driver I used had a crappy handle that was hard to hold.Jerry

I appreciate the input. I like the flat head screw I made better than the spanner and thats what this site is about doin it yerself

I appreciate the input. I like the flat head screw I made better than the spanner and thats what this site is about doin it yerself

Absolutely! Doing it the way you want it is paramount!

I like the screw head idea too! Reckon why the Germans went with the spanner head ?I use to think it was to keep folks from jacking with them,kinda tamper proof.The soldiers must have had a spanner wrench in their cleaning kit.A slot screw would have been much better just in case you had to take a rifle apart in the field.milsurp,do common screws blue ok with cold blue?Thanks for the info,it's a good solution to a problem most Mauser owners run into.Jerry