Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Notching A Receiver

jonjay1

I have a bolt for my mauser and i will have to remove some of the receiver so the bolt will close, can a dremel take away enough metal for this job? or should i just find a bolt to clear without notching the receiver?

dremel will work, as will files.... GO SLOW! CHECK OFTEN! that's the main things to remember... now go have fun!

Only go deep enough so that the original flag safety can be engaged completely (all the way over) without too much effort. That defines the amount to take off. You can easily go too far if not careful.

just so everyone knows, what happens if you go too far? i have always heard not to do it, but never why.... so what the deal?

I went too far once in my Super-Bubba days. When I pull the trigger on that rifle the bolt moves up and is loose. Safety-wise the bolt handle is a less-effective backup lug, and I suspect that the front lugs go beyond optimal engagement, effectively weakening the action.

I figured-out that I screwed up before I fired it. Its in my "trophy" corner now. Maybe i should weld it up and try again.

just so everyone knows, what happens if you go too far? i have always heard not to do it, but never why.... so what the deal?

The bolt jumps when fired if the notch is too deep.

Get a welder to drop a bead in the notch and start over again. This time be careful, the original safety notch on a military 98 bolt is at 12 o'clock at the rear of the bolt and you can see it thru the bolt guide rib channel in the rear action ring. I use this as an indicator when the bolt is notched enough, give or take a RHC.

Bob