Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Dept Mic Clinic

roscoedoh

Guys I need some feedback. Am I reading this instrument correctly?

Below I read .618".

IPB Image

Below I read .728".

IPB Image

I know this should be pretty basic stuff, but I'm about to have some work done for me based on my measurements and since no one's ever shown me how, I want to be sure.

Thanks for you input,

Jason

I'm about to have some work done for me based on my measurements and since no one's ever shown me how, I want to be sure.

Correctimondo!

Clemson

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was pretty sure I had it, but wanted to double check.

Now we're going to conduct a little experiment: a friend has agreed to chamber a barrel for me based on the readings above. Theoritically, the barrel should screw right in once I get it back from him.

Thanks,

Jason

In a perfect world, you are correct that a barrel should screw right in. However, this is not a perfect world. If your friend does not have the experience to see the flaws in this arrangement, he lacks the experience to perform the job. The above statement is based on the reasonable assumption that neither of you has recent certs on your mics or controled conditions under which to measure. LL

All. please do expound on the why nots of this arrangement. I'm of the opinion that this lad's friend must be nuts to tackle such a thing!

Two possible ways to minimize error between the dueling mics would be:

A.) send your mic to your friend.

B.) send something like the barrel along and measure the shank with your mic so your friend can have a reference point to work from..

Of course, this doesn't even account for the millions of other possible events that could creep up.

The normal warnings apply, make sure it is installed by someone who knows what they are doing. This could be you, or the local smith, or even the local Sportering Forums member who knows all.

Fellas,

As I said, it's an experiment. If it doesn't work out there's no harm/no foul; I'll get my local gunsmith to do the work.

Unfortunately, although I am quite confident in my friend's machine skills, he doesn't have his FFL yet so I can't send the action along with the barrel. So, I'll send my mic along with the barrel to alleviate any dueling mics.

Furthermore, we're working with a caliber that's not widely available.

That and the lack of FFL's makes things difficult. And as I say, this is an experiement.

Thanks all,

Jason

That and the lack of FFL's makes things difficult.

You mean that and the unconstitutional infringements on the second ammendment make things difficult. We should be able to send any law-abiding American anything we want to any time. I HATE limitations on freedom and industry.

Now that I'm done inappropriately ranting, your project sounds like a fun experiment. Your odds will be better by not trying for minimum headspace (but accuracy may take a hit if you FL resize or use commercial ammo). Make sure to post a follow-up.

You mean that and the unconstitutional infringements on the second ammendment make things difficult. We should be able to send any law-abiding American anything we want to any time. I HATE limitations on freedom and industry.

Now that I'm done inappropriately ranting, your project sounds like a fun experiment. Your odds will be better by not trying for minimum headspace (but accuracy may take a hit if you FL resize or use commercial ammo). Make sure to post a follow-up.

DT,

That was a totally appropriate rant!

Thanks, Z. I just WISH: 1) our government didn't infringe our rights to do worthwhile and interesting things and; 2) that I didn't have to worry about politics (I'm really bad at it).

In the spirit of Oprah and Rosie, you go Jason (just don't be firing it if the headspace is wrong)!