Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mauser Hard To Cock After Bolt Forging

It is much harder to open the bolt on my 98k sporter after I forged the handle on it. I tried lapping the cocking surfaces with 600 grit paste but that seemed to make it worse. I know some one else had this problem but I cant find the post.

I think someone mentioned kasenit but I dont know If I should harden the bolt and the cocking piece and If I should try to polish the surfaces

Thanks in advance

I loked at my commercial FN action and there is about .005 or so clearance between bolt handel and bridge. If the handel rubs then you will need to file the front of handel down. I have one 98 that has about .060 space. HTH

Rad

I put blue Diechem on the bolt when it interferes after forging or welding.

Where ever the blue wears off, that is where the bolt got bigger.

The cocking cam was most likely annealed. It likely needs to be rehardened. The polishing compound will only eat through any hardened surface and make things worse.

Any time you weld a bolt handle on it is a good idea to smear some 30 weight motor oil on the cam and cycle the bolt a hundred or so times to smooth out the crust that forms from welding. Avoid the temptation to hurry things up by using abrasives.

I posted the insrtuctions for rehardening a while back. I'm not at home so I can't post them now.