Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Raytheon Stock Doing Well

FC

Raytheon (RTN) is doing well for me. I've gotten 2.46% return in 2 or 3 weeks. Now they have developed a supposedly great way to identify and extract oil from shale using radio frequency. I expect they'll go up more in the near-term.

Xethanol (XTHN): I bought it too soon, but it is gaining ground quickly. It is an ethanol producer.

Just to let you know that there is money to be made!

i bought xthn and peix before they started taking off wildly. i put a stop loss on peix and sold xthn because of the volatility and what a mistake i made. peix was about 14 when i bought it and today its at 39 and xthn i bought at 6.50 i believe and its over 13 today. shoulda,coulda, woulda.

Just looking at the chart, I would say that RTN is having a peak right now. Kinda looks like a head and shoulders is developing on the weekly.

XTHN, I would say has about 2 weeks of upside coming, short term. However, there are no options traded on XTHN, which means you can't play covered calls on it. I don't mess with things I can't write options on to make some side money.

I'm not good at reading technicals, so I am looking at: ethanol replacing whatever the additive is for gasoline. I am thinking it may keep going up for a spell.

Raytheon- big profits last quarter, big contracts continue to come in. You think it might peter out?

What do you think Boeing BAwill do? Deere DE keeps going up. I don't have either right now.

Well, strictly from a chart reading standpoint, I would not touch BA right now. RSI is high, Stocastics are high. If anything, a long term Put wouldn't be a bad play right now from the charts, but I don't think that would be quite the thing to do either, as while we have been at war for five years now with no end in sight, I don't think BA is done making bombs and airplanes.

DE isn't right to buy either. It has gone from 57 to 91 in six months or so, RSI, Stocastics both sky high, higher than BA even. The pattern has the look of a lot of money moving into it over that time span, after it traded in the 60-70 range for a couple years. I would say a correction is coming fairly soon in this one.

Again, this is just from a chart reading standpoint. The object is to buy when the price is down and the indicators are showing an oversold condition and sell when the price is high, and the price is high on both of these now. Not to say it couldn't go higher, but it is not "low" right now. So, with my luck, they will both double in three weeks. You pays your money, you takes your chances.

Dr.Hess

Thanks Dr. Hess.

I don't know what RSI is though. What programs do you use? I'd like to economize in the future by not having different services. Investors Business Daily has some extra programs. I went to Success Investor after their seminar, but I think they are overpriced. They have nice, easy to use charts that show stochastics, ten week average, has an easy to use format that shows what you bought the stocks for, and where they are at today, with percentage increase. Of course, it has the volume. Costs over $200 every six months. I have Morningstar, which has good news items that have been helpful, but that costs too. Investors Bus. Daily has been really good. I'm not sure whether to look into Wall Street Journal. All of this costs, and wish I had all of this consolidated to save money.

I sold BA when it went up, and, of course, it went higher, but I did make my money. You did see something with RTN though. If I had sold right when you said something, I would be several hundred bucks ahead. I did sell, but I don't know if I did it too early. I looked at the dips it did recently, and got skiddish. I am going to watch it though, due to the oil shale extraction technology it just came up with.

Thanks for the input.

Update at 1345. Whooeee! Over $300 profit in one day on PEIX (ethanol). The hard part is knowing when to hold 'em, and when to fold 'em.

Check out Worden Brothers. They used to have a program called TC2000 that was very good and not very expensive. I haven't traded in a while so I'm not sure what they are offering now. Watching you is getting me riled up to get back into it again, though.

Did you do it for a living? Thanks for the info.

I do lose some, but it doesn't tend to be a lot. I'm learning. For less than 3 months experience I don't think I'm doing too bad. I keep my eyes open for good earnings and prospects. Cramer, on CNBC, has helped not necessarily with specific stocks, but for sectors. IBD posts winners graphs. www.thestreet.com's newsletter has been pretty loaded with tips.

There are lots of places to read up on what all the indicators mean. A google on RSI Stochastics will give you plenty to read. Here's one:

http://www.stockcharts.com/education/Indic...ndicators1.html

I use an ap called IQ Chart: http://www.iqchart.com/ that gives streaming real time charts. They have a free 30 day trial. But I'm not too big on paying for stuff I can get for free, so I do tend to look a long time. I trade now with etrade. They bought Brown & Co who bought out another place that I had an account with. So, I got assimilated to eTrade. There looks to be a bunch of free tools on there too, but today is the first day I logged into my new account with them, so I am still exploring. For example, stocks.tradingcharts.com has a free java chart thing that you can set up to display bollinger bands, RSI, stochastics, volume and on balance volume, which is the chart set I look at. I'm sure there are many others out there. I used to use silicon investor, but they pretty much killed their charts.

Watch out for them stop losses. The pit scum can see them and have no problem with dumping a load of the stock to drive the price down to your stop loss, buying your stock, then letting it bounce back up. Effectively ripping you off. Best to watch your stocks close and not to let the pit scum know your hand.