Military Firearm Restoration Corner

E.r.shaw Barrels

MarkTX

They used to get a bad rap whenever someone brought them up but I haven't noted any bad press on them lately. I also read where they supposedly upgraded their machinery and upped the quality of their product. Also supposedly, they've shortened their lead and turn-around times to be "tolerable."

I have not used them but am seriously considering them for a project I plan to start late this year.

At the worst, their barrels can't be any worse than A&B - and are probably better since they use the right thread for the right action.

I have a 22-250 from them My smith installed and very pleased. Accurate with any load. Sent off an action yesterday for a 338-06 barrel fluted and installed by them. They quoted 12 week turnaround. Plenty of time before deer season.

They did a 98 for me a couple of years back. The work is beautiful and I thought was reasonably priced. It took about twice as long as they they first told me, though. Also, it was an ordeal to actually get a live person on the phone. Other than those inconveniences, which may be better now, I think you'll be happy.

My dad has a 98m action out to shaw for a barrel install....think they told him 10-12 weeks.

I think it is $60 to have it fit to your action. that seems a bit steep to me, since they make and are selling you the barrel.

60 Bucks is a good price as far as I'm concerened. Shaw has done one for me, the price when compared to McGowen is a bargain. Their blueing is priced right and I'm 100% satisfied with the results. When I shipped it I was told a 6-8 week turn around and got it back 6 weeks and a day. I never had a problem getting somebody on the phone and the person I talked with was very knowledgeable about Mausers and Enfields. I can't attest to the accuracy as I haven't had the chance to shoot it but more than a few rounds through the iron sights at a rock on the side of a mountain. Over all I rate the deal with Shaw as excellent and will likely use them again If I can ever get my current projects finished. I'll try and post a picture of the project.

Here is what it started as, as Santa Barbara mag action in the white that I sent to Shaw. Shaw installed a medium weight barrel in 338 Win mag.

IPB Image

I originally was going to install a walnut stock I have but just didn't like the way it felt. The laminate stock I got from one of Sporter Express' Ebay auctions. I can't recall the exact price but it was a shot in the dark. I bid low and got it. It is a varmit type stock but the barrel channel was way to narrow, undoubtably the reason I got it priced right.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

I just finished glass bedding the action and free floating the barrel last week. Gun show this weekend I'm going to look for a recoil pad. Hopefully I will have the stock shaped and finished in the next few weeks. I haven't decided on a scope yet but if I get drawn for the area I'm hoping for in the Elk hunt lottery I'll probably give it a try with the iron sights. Once I have a thick pad installed I'm hoping there is enough length that my 55 year old eyes will focus through the hard sights.

I'm going to give the stock adjustable trigger a shot. I haven't heard much about Santa Barbara triggers. I had one before I bought about 20 years ago, put it on a Voere Mauser, wasn't happy with it and replaced it with a Timney.

BE KIND!! No remarks about the dirty carpet. I didn't realize how bad it is until I used the flash. The pictures were taken in my combination gun, reloading, computer and smoking room. It is always in disarray and my Rottweiler claims this room as his personal space.

They have a very good product, and I'll have to agree with Roscoe that they're better than A&B. A little more expensive and slower to get.

The guy you need to talk to is Chris Murray.

chris@ershawbarrels.com

Az. ve ry nice so far. It'll look super when you get the stock finished. What you going to finish it with?

Kenak, thanks for contact info.

Az. ve ry nice so far. It'll look super when you get the stock finished. What you going to finish it with?

Kenak, thanks for contact info.

Chris is the guy I dealt with at Shaw, both by email and phone.

I haven't decided what I'll finish it with yet. With time getting tighter everday I'll likely wind up using spray or hand rub poly, possibly both. Phoenix temperatures are going over a 100 degrees so it's time ot start baking the cosmo out of a few milsurps. I'll probably put the 338 on hold and get back to the degreasing.

My son's business all of a sudden has grown and I have to help him out untill things settle down to the point he can take on another employee. I'm having trouble making the time to do anything. Hate to admit it but the 338 was supposed to have been done this past December.

I've only dealt with two SBs over the years, one over 30 years and one a few years ago. Both pretty nice work, but rough operating - that can all be fixed.

The triggers were both absolute junk, worse than the worst Mk X. I suspect you'll want a Timney or other such aftermarket.

Wish I had a boatload of those triggerguards though. No complaints about the steel ones, never messed with the aluminum ones.

B