Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Best Type Of Mauser Action To Start With?

RifleMan

Okay, Gents, here's what I end up with.

I just bought a Bosnian cracked stock/dark bore for ~$70, and a Yugo 24/47 Very Good for ~$100. I figure I can learn a bit on the Bosnian and get used to the tooling and whatnot, and if I totally hose it, oh well. Then I'll be more prepared to handle the Yugo. In the meantime, I'll have a decent Mauser shooter to play with. Who knows, if I end up liking the work done to the Bosnian, I may just keep the Yugo as-is.

Question:

Does anyone know any specific troubles with the Bosnians? I don't know if this has already been asked, but I'm wondering if they normally would require re-heat treatment or something like that (read: something I cannot perform at home). Are they generally good, safe actions?

I also went ahead and bought an SKS in decent shape. I don't remember well enough if these are good or not, but they were fun 10 years ago, so I'm taking a chance.

-Nathan

I can tell you this about the Bosnians--if the barrels are described as "dark bores", they are even worse than that.

No problem if you are rebarreling. But problem when you try to take that barrel off the thing. Thay are the tightest of any rifle I have ever encountered. Yes, they can eventually be unscrewed, but at a helluva lot of energy.

Not exactly like most of the mausers when it comes to barrel removal. Maybe it's the way they were used, the ammo used in them, etc. It's a hard way to get a stripped action.

fritz

Fritz,

i think that it is in part due to the extractor cut. they just scewed the barrels on tighter and tighter until the cut lined up. i think that is somewhat the same as the eddystones. they screwed the barrels on tight as heck instead of cutting the shoulders properly.

the actions will most likely serve you well as is.

• 2 weeks later...

The rifles came in yesterday, and I had the chance to inspect them last night. Everything looks GREAT. The "cracked stock/dark bore" is actually just a dark bore alone - I could find no cracks (hairline or otherwise). There're a couple of small chunks out of the stock, but nothing too bad at all. It came with a few of those retail trigger locks (you know, the red button-together type you see at Big 5).

The other Mauser is in great shape as well, as expected. This one also came with a bayonet (maybe it was supposed to, but I didn't know it).

The SKS is pretty decent as well. It came with a bayonet as well, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what to do with it. The SKS has a built-in, swing-out bayonet already. This other one has a sheath and everything.

Nothing has any obvious rust pitting, either below or above the woodlines. Since I don't have 8x57 headspace gauges, I'll take them to the local smith on Saturday for a quick check and then go shooting on Sunday morning.

Can the bolts between an M48 and a 24/47 be interchanged without trouble? The M48 has a bent handle, but the rest is so-so, while the 24/47 is in great shape all around.

Thanks,

Nathan

Can the bolts between an M48 and a 24/47 be interchanged without trouble? The M48 has a bent handle, but the rest is so-so, while the 24/47 is in great shape all around.

Nathan,

When you get the headspace checked, have the gunsmith do it with both bolts in both guns. It is fairly likely that the guns will heaspace OK with the bolts swapped in them, but there is no guarantee. If the headspace is good with the M48 bolt in the 24/47, for instance, you can use that bolt in the 24/47 safely. Since you will be replacing the bolt handle when you sporterize, it is a moot point for the longer term. Use the original bolt body and cut and weld a new handle or have it forged.

The bayonet is likely a Cetme bayonet. Century has approximately a battleship full of these things, and they give one away with every order over something like $100. I have started giving them away. They are a truly ugly bayonet. The Mauser bayonet that came with the 24/47 is a fairly gracefull piece of work, however.

Congratulations and enjoy your rifles.

Clemson

Clemson -

Good point about the headspace and the bolt handles. I hadn't thought of that. I'll probably have to send the bolt out for the new handle, since I don't know thing #1 about welding yet, but, as you say, that's longer term.

I'll just shoot them as-is for a while, until I can gather together the needed tools to do this project. First thing I need: a new house to set up shop. ;o)

Thanks again guys.

-Nathan

Rilfeman,

I am living in the Los Gatos area, for the next three weeks or until my job is done. Then I will be back in Sac. I have done a couple of Mauser biults and understand the major principles and steps. If you want me to walk throug it, I would be happy to help. SS

Guest Guest

slseacrist -

Thanks for the offer, but this is a longer-term project. I probably won't have all the right tooling to do it for another several months.

-Nathan