Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Pellet Gun Question

Horsefly

I need a pellet gun for grackel and rabbit plunking.I need advise on the hardest shooter for the money.I looked in SGN at the Gamo's,but will stay around $1oo.oo-$150.00 range.Jerry

The only one I've had experience with is the Sheridan Blue Streak in 5mm. It'll take pigeons cleanly and I've seen it take a rabbit with a head shot. I don't no if they're as good as they used to be, the one I used was probably mid 70's vintage. I think Crossman or someone bought them out.

Depends on what kind you want, for a pump I would go with a sheridan 392, for c02 a crosman 2260 or a chinese QB-78 (copy of the old crosman 160), for a spring I would go with a Gamo Shadow Supreme. Jerry's had the gamo combo on sale for a $100 last month . All of the above guns can be modified for alot more power if you put a little time into them. But if your going after rabbits and small birds your really dont need alot of power.

Try a Benjamin Sheridan in either .177 or .22 cal. I can't remember if you can mount a scope on one or not, but the step dad has one he's had since he was my age and still shoots pigeons, possums, and armadillas with.

I killed a lot of pigeons and a few larger snowshoe hares with my old crossman 760 (500fps)as a kid. I think those breakopen or side cockers with 1000 fps would be awesome.

Kinda the way I was thinking Keith! About the only rifles I see on the shelf at Bass Pro and Cabela's are Sheridans.I like them,but would like to finger other types.Jerry

Only problem with the higher power spiring guns is the recoil and there ability to shoot them well. You would be suprised that they actually kick, but the recoil eats up non airgun scopes pretty quick. Spring airgun are very picky about how you hold them, it takes awhile to learn how to hold the gun properly to get good groups. Also be warned that the velocity figures you get from gamo (the worst) and others are inflated. This site might help they have alot of guns and some reviews. http://www.pyramydair.com/