Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Electric Car Batteries

karlunity

The Hippy is think of buying an electric (hybrid) car.

She like the Toyota "Prius".

yet someone told her that the batteries die and cost $ 8000 to replace.

Has anyone read this?

karl

I Googled this.

I applaud supporting applying technology to decreasing our dependence on fossil fuel. This won't come without cost. Will a hybrid cost less to run? Maybe not. But you will have the value of trying to do the right thing.

They are not without additional costs that os for sure. But one thing to consider when reading the cost comparisons is that most were done when gas was a mere $2 a gallon. Now that we are at $3 nationwide and climbing they are more attractive. A couple of benefits of owning opne in CA is you get to ride solo in the HO lane.

Karl,

here is something to sweeten the pot:

http://www.hybridcars.com/tax-deductions-credits.html

The hybrid battery packs are designed to last for the lifetime of the vehicle, somewhere between 150,000 and 200,000 miles, probably a whole lot longer. The warranty covers the batteries for between eight and ten years, depending on the car maker. So they say.

I would suspect that the insurance would be quite expensive on on, especially for collision.

The batteries and all that wiring and stuff would be easily damaged, and very expensive to replace. Ask your insurance company first.

fritz

Now it's obvious why General Motors is going broke: They listened to opinions like this.

The Prius is a no-brainer.

Gasoline is expensive now, it's going to be more expensive, and the world supply is in jeopardy.

Feel free to buy all the gas-guzzlers you want, boys. I'm certain you can get them at bargain basement prices, and they'll be cheaper in the future.

If the Middle East goes up in smoke--and it's smoldering now--expect to see gas rationing.

50 miles to the gallon will seem awful sweet, then.

flaco

Now it's obvious why General Motors is going broke: They listened to opinions like this.

The Prius is a no-brainer.

Yeah, but buying a toyota is un-american! If you're concerned about gas prices, buy a hybrid or a ethenol vehical. Just make sure it's made by one of the big 3. Who cares about fuel economy, if you can't get a job to pay for the car!

-Don from Detriot, the Motor City

That arguement is long dead. Look at the % of car that is made in America and you will clearly see that many US makes don't even qualify as Made in USA. In fact, many cars assembled in Canada can legally wear the Made in USA label. It is a total crock. Hell, even Harley, that great American icon has used Japanese parts for decades.

That arguement is long dead. Look at the % of car that is made in America and you will clearly see that many US makes don't even qualify as Made in USA. In fact, many cars assembled in Canada can legally wear the Made in USA label. It is a total crock. Hell, even Harley, that great American icon has used Japanese parts for decades.

Yes, but even 10% made in the USA is better than 0%. And I'd rather support Canada any any day of the week, instead of Japan.

-Don

the irony of that statement is that The Jap cars are higher % made in US than many US cars.

Assembled, not made. Unfortunately assembly provides the least jobs, but that is what everyone thinks of when they think about the auto industry. It's the parts suppliers, steel industry, engineering firms, tool and die shops, etc. that make up the majority of the work force. Even if you bought a Ford make out of this country you would be supporting more jobs than a Honda assembled in the US. I'd rather pay double the price and get half the fuel economy and buy american (I do get 12 mpg in my F250 by the way) than support foreign countries. I wish they'd give you the option to get USA part like you get the option to upgrade to bucket seats. I'd pay the upgrade even if in meant paying 100k for a car.

-Don