Military Firearm Restoration Corner

U.s. Enfield 1917 Conversions

S.B

I've read a lot that the 1914 action can be used for comversions in the large magnum calibers. Can the 1917 action also be use for the larger magnum caliber conversions? If not, why? Are the actions different other than caliber?

Yes, the 1917 action can be used for conversion to the larger diameter or belted magnum rounds. It's just that the 1914 action usually requires a little less work to make it feed correctly since it was designed to feed the rimmed 303 British round instead of the rimless 3006 round. A proper conversion of either of these actions into a nice sporter requires a good deal of skill. Just removing the old barrel can be quite an experience, then you still have to deal with the rear sight ears, contouring the receiver, removing the dog leg from the trigger guard, etc. Lots of opportunites to run into real trouble and ruin the action, but if properly done by a smith who knows his business, you'll have a fine rifle. Shoot well.

The P14 bolt is favored for two reasons, first, since it was set up for a rimmed cartridge it is correct as-is for a belted magnum rim. Second, it has more meat on it for use on the really large cases like the rigby and others.

If you just want a belted mag like the .375 H&H and its offspring then there is no real advantage. You could just as easily use the P17. If you want a huge cartridge, then there is some benefit to using a P14.

• 7 months later...

I have a M-'17 sporter that was rechambered to 308Norma ,and a P-14 sporter, ears and all. While the bolt face has to be opened up on the 17,the magazine work is much easier. The bottom metal is slightly different in the front corners so switching boxs isn't as easy as they make out. I didn't have any trouble making mine feed.

Just out of curiosity, what is a Winchester 1917 action worth?

I found one of these, ears complete but stock bubba'd and action drilled and tapped for a Buehler mount system, in a pawn shop recently. I have been tempted, although I have no idea what I would do with it.

Clemson

Not sure what one is worth but I paid $55 for a new winchester barreled action, no bolt & no triggerguard/magazine. I also paid $70 for a sported eddystone. Original except blue had been removed & stock cut down.

I think both those prices were less than going rate.

Last I heard, SARCO was selling the actions for $150 a piece but that was about a year ago.

I also saw three actions for sale a while ago at the Gun Doctor in Longview, Texas for ~$150 a piece. Two were Eddystones if that matters.

So it seems the actions are selling in probably the $100-200 range. I'd give that much for one if I were so inclined.

Whole rifles, especially those in good, original condition sell for quite a bit more. The last original P-17 I saw at a pawn shop had a $700 price tag on it. I thought that was a bit much, even for the guy who owns that particular pawn shop. Still, I haven't come across any cheap originals ever.

And...if it were me and I were to come into an original, I'd surely leave that one as-is as I'm sure there's a whole bunch of half-arsed sporters out there waiting for time and money. But that's just me...

Jason

The one I saw had been painted in camo colors. I suppose the barrel was OK, but I did not even look through the bore. The pawn shop was asking $150, but that is generally negotiable.

Clemson

FYI,

Gunbroker has several sported 1917's for sale at better than $250. Take that for what its worth. I am lucky that a buddy and gunsmith will sell me his original stock cheap. I can restore one of these to have my first American Milsurp! It's nice to have friends. If I ever build one I already know that it will be in .375 H&H.

I'd like to have one restored.

If it is in the original stock & the bore was good I'd think that $150 was fair and I'm sure you can negotiate a better deal.

I like the enfields. I want at least one sporter & one original.

I might be the odd one, but I like the cock on closing action. I have a storterized winchester 1917 made in the 70's and 2 p14 actions. One's getting turned into a 300 weatherby and the other is probably going to end up on the top shelf, tucked away for a unknown future project.

-Don

• 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Just out of curiosity, what is a Winchester 1917 action worth?

I found one of these, ears complete but stock bubba'd and action drilled and tapped for a Buehler mount system, in a pawn shop recently. I have been tempted, although I have no idea what I would do with it.

Clemson

got three 1917 actions from sarco for 210.00 2 win. with matching bolts the other was eddystone. built a 338 win mag and a 416.wetherbey very strongactions