Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Japanese Rifle Converted To Carbine.

riceone

At the end of WW11 the Siamese conveted Japanese T38 into police carbines and left most in 6.5x50. The top one is one they did, the bottom is one I just finished. riceone.

post-15-1153444045_thumb.jpg

post-15-1153444091_thumb.jpg

post-15-1153444122_thumb.jpg

Nice blue on that action. How did you do it?

Is that a Turk band on the front - or maybe from a 24/47 or K98? It looks better than the original. How is it secured? I tried a Turk band on my Win 94 with a bigger bbl and a forend that I made from a Turk stock. I forged it around the bbl and it looked OK but definitely Bubba. You must have taken your time with the wood to get such a nice fit. Any pointers?

Very nice work, riceone. It looks better than the original. I bet its very light and handy, and that 6.5 mm is a very useful cartridge.

I carried the rifle to a gunsmith who blues and since I had it all prepped he only charged me $50 to blue it.

I'm including a close up of the other side of the band, I don't know what it came off but was originally about twice that wide. Before I am done I will install a spring catch like is on the original rifle in the first picture. riceone.

[attachmentid=139]

post-15-1153449768_thumb.jpg

Would you rate this as one of your easier projects? (Compared to some of the other projects I've seen you post?)

Good job!