Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Leave The Darn Gun Alone.

karlunity

Brothers.

I karl have seen the error of my sinful, pride filled ways.

For years I would change triggers, sears or springs, etc on Mausers or Enfields

or Mosins or SKS,etc trying to make them "Better".

I would read "American Rifleman" or a gunsmithing book and head to the shop with a Rifle

that could just use "this" to be a little better.

No more!

I almost sent "Boris" my 1917 Enfield, he was my first milsup, to the smith to get re barreled.

His groups had opened to 2 or 3 inches at 100 meters. : (

Before, I did this the Lord spoke to me and said. "Karl, you idiot, put the original trigger BACK on the rifle".

So I did.

I took Boris back to the range and firing from sand bags, using iron, issue sights, Boris shot MOA and better

some of the groups had touching holes. :)

Same thing with the SKS, I replaced the sear I had "customized" with an issue sear

and it shoots much better, not in a class with Boris, but for an SKS very well indeed.

Brothers I am taking the "PLEDGE".

If it is not broke don't fix it".

Karl

Karl,

It sounds like you've done well by "continuing to fix it".

If you change something and it works for a while, change it again...and again.

This is a big part of the fun (and frustration, but without the joy of ending frustration there wouldn't be fun, so its important to regularly create some of this essential, but negative, emotion). Keep modifying, or all of your firearms might end-up shooting pretty-good and you'll have nothing to do better than watching NASCAR.

P.S. I'm glad that Boris remains un-altered...for now. This can only be a temporary reprieve.

P.P.S. Does Boris have a preference for how tight his action screws are torqued?

Hello CG.

No, If a rifle won't shoot to began with, like a certain Vz-24 of my acquiescence, I shall sporterized.

But if it shoots 2 inch groups at 100 meters, I shall leave it be. or try to!!! : )

Hello DT.

"P.P.S. Does Boris have a preference for how tight his action screws are torqued?

Actually he does, not so much the torque but the way they are tightened.

The Enfield 1917 is a variation on the Mauser as you know, so like all Mauser type actions, Boris holds better groups if you tighten the screws together.

That is one turn on the front screw and one turn on the back.

Take care fellas

Karl

Karl,

I'll have to agree with you on some of those rifles you mentioned about leaving alone (especially the Mosin, there ain't a damned thing anybody can do to make that one shoot as good as the worst VZ-24).

As to the rest of them, it's a toss-up. Sometimes you make them better, sometimes you don't. Kinda like the old Mounds candy commercial--sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

fritz

(especially the Mosin, there ain't a damned thing anybody can do to make that one shoot as good as the worst VZ-24).

fritz

I don't know about that.

I have two Mosins: a m-44 and a 91/30 both of them were a lot better than my Vz-24.

I had to counter bore the Vz-24 to get it to group even 2 to 3 inches at 100 meters.

The M-44 and especially the 91/30 would hit, firing from sandbags, a NRA samll bore rifle bull at 300 meters out of the box.

karl

I was referring to the trigger, sear, and springs on the Mosin VS the VZ-24.

You will find some bad barrels on VZ-24s, but you will find many more bad triggers, sears, and springs on a Mosin. At least you can rebarrel the mauser, with the mosin the choice is somewhat limited.

Get a rifle in as good a condition as you can, that goes for both the communist rifles and the mausers. Then you will not have to rebarrel, counterbore, etc.

fritz