Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Remington 03-a3 Dilemma

rwims

I purchased a Remington 03-A3 that was sporterized. It has been drilled and tapped. My dilemma is do I want to restore it to as close to original condition as possible, which would be complete less drill & tap, or continue with the sporterization and reblue replace stock and so on. What would be considered the maximun caliber and case size for this action? Last but not least, I remember reading about brittle 03-A3 actions and was wondering if that applied to the Remington manufactured actions?

Thanks,

rwims

Guest Guest

I would continue the sporterization. It will be worth more in the long run as a nice sporter than a D&T'd pseudo original.

If it were not D&T'd I could see wanting to restore it. But the effort and expense is too great in my opinion to end up with a rifle that is worth less complete than the cost of the parts needed to restore it.

The point about value is very valid. And a rifle restored is never worth as much as an original because its been tinkered with. However, it is your rifle to do with as you want to.

If you already have an 03-A3 sporter, why not try and learn to plug and hide holes? If you don't have a sporter, you can make some very nice sportering rifles out of it. Since D/Ting is done, you're almost home. You could make a dandy sporter out of it in no time.

It just kinda depends on what you would value the most.