Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Butterknife Bolt Handles

donmarkey

There is no real standard but many originals that were intended for iron sights looked like this one:

IPB Image

If intended for use with a scope they tend to angle moe. Some are a mixture of straight and angled because the handle body is actually curved.

• 5 weeks later...

Ya put the darn thing on backwards! It looks good. Better than most add on spoon handles I see, really!

I'll be welding mine in a few weeks. I'm planning on two bolts for one rifle. One butterknife, the other oberndorf. Why? I don't know, lol.

Ya put the darn thing on backwards! It looks good. Better than most add on spoon handles I see, really!

I'll be welding mine in a few weeks. I'm planning on two bolts for one rifle. One butterknife, the other oberndorf. Why? I don't know, lol.

Thanks, unfortunatly my welding skills and machine aren't up to par. I'm hoping the small pits will blend in with the pits in the rest of the action.

-Don

so don, why did you put it on backwards? it does look like it would give a better grip...

Conversation piece! Actually I tacked it in place, then put it in a receiver to check the angle and noticed it. But it actually felt natural to use, so why not. Besides most people won't know the difference.

-Don

The main reason I posted the picture was to see who'd notice. I should have known Mike would bust me!

-Don

The mausers bolt handles can be a to weld because of the impurities the case hardening imparts to the surface area. It is not uncommon to have to go back and fill in pits. Same goes for the Brownells handles due to their being cast. Pits often show up in final polishing in places where you never welded.

You pits are small but don't be afraid to hit em again with the torch to fill em in. Sometimes it helps to spot drill the pit to remove the impurity.

Like I said, better than many I have seen including those by alledged gunsmiths. The shaping is great though and you kept nice lines. Not a wavy surface like many spoon handles I''ve seen. Good technique that will only get better with more practice.

i figured there was a reason... i reread my question and am glad you didnt take my question the wrong way... hard to convey tone of voice over the internet. as long as the stock is slim enough to get your hand under the bolt, i'd say you have a great bolt there!

The mausers bolt handles can be a to weld because of the impurities the case hardening imparts to the surface area. It is not uncommon to have to go back and fill in pits. Same goes for the Brownells handles due to their being cast. Pits often show up in final polishing in places where you never welded.

You pits are small but don't be afraid to hit em again with the torch to fill em in. Sometimes it helps to spot drill the pit to remove the impurity.

Like I said, better than many I have seen including those by alledged gunsmiths. The shaping is great though and you kept nice lines. Not a wavy surface like many spoon handles I''ve seen. Good technique that will only get better with more practice.

I know what you mean by the brownells handles, I welded this one, a talley one, and then another brownells(had a problem with the last one) and I had to grind the brownells 3 times now and reweld. I think I got it now but wont know until it's cleaned up. I also filled the knob so I got alot of work ahead of me.

-Don

i figured there was a reason... i reread my question and am glad you didnt take my question the wrong way... hard to convey tone of voice over the internet. as long as the stock is slim enough to get your hand under the bolt, i'd say you have a great bolt there!

Don't worry, if I was afraid of being critisized I wouldn't even post. I'm still playing around with bolt handles, trying to find what I like. So when I goofed, I thought I'd leave it a see how it turned out. Of course it's the best one so far, go figure. Maybe that's why I kind of like it.

-Don