Military Firearm Restoration Corner

First Project...

JRH

For polishing the interior I prefer stones glued to a rod which is covered in that link I posted. Jason covered things pretty well. I do lap all my parts but I also have everything rehardened. I would not be inclined to lap lugs etc without that in mind. If you do, go slow and remove very little. Us e afine past and do not try for 100% contact. By the time you achieve that you will be well through the case hardened layer, or damn near.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not be inclined to lap lugs etc without that in mind.

Let me ask this question...when a gunsmith offers to lap lugs and square the face...what do they do? Grind away and not reharden...?

Without having to go into great detail could you explain a little...

Thanks, Jeff

That's exactly what most do.

So obviously there is some room for interpretation as to whether it really necessary. I guess it comes down to how much material is moved, and you willingness to spend the extra time to have it done?

JC

So obviously there is some room for interpretation as to whether it really necessary. I guess it comes down to how much material is moved, and you willingness to spend the extra time to have it done?

JC

I personally would not lap without reheat treating. All my rifles, lapped or not are more acurate than I can be it the field. For a hunting rifle I don't see the need to lap. Of course if I'm going to get it treated anyway I'll lap the lugs and the face.

-Don

Lapping lugs became de rigeur with actions like the Rem 700 and it's ilk. Many of the hacks that hang a shingle have no clue about mausers and their metalurgy and or hardening techniques.

If you have a matching number mauser that has been shot you will not need to lap. If your bolt is a mismatch, depending on how long or rather how many times it has been fired with that bolt, you may not need to lap either.

I avoid all the hassles by having all my actions rehardened. If however you don't plan that then as Don said, don't lap the lugs. Simple really.