Military Firearm Restoration Corner

T38 Carbine In 7.7x58

riceone

One of the four rifles converted to 7.7 in 1938 for the testing of the new cartridge, was the T38 carbine. It was found to have excessive recoil so that project was scrapped. Friend bought me this rifle to keep as long as I live. There is only one other know example of this rifle. riceone.

IPB Image

IPB Image

I beleive the Japanese had the 7.7 machine gun cartridge and it was from this that the rifle cartridge was derived. For practical purposes the 7.7 is just a rimless 303 Brit. After the four rifle test they settled on a long 99 (31" barrel) and an intermediated 25" barrel 99. Soon after production began they dropped the T99 Long and standerdized on what we know as the T99.

I suppose to a 110 pound man the pounding of the carbine was rather severe.

riceone.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Friend has since sold me this rifle for an arm and two legs. I have not shot this rifle, probably never will. I have a short carbine in 7.7 that I have fired, not any noticable difference in it and the normal 99. riceone.

JB, I know of one other carbine like this one but neither are in MROJ that I know of. I beleive its in Frank Allans book but with the serial number from the other rifle. That is how I learned there was another. riceone.