Military Firearm Restoration Corner

.338 Federal

ken98k

It is basically the .338-08. A 308 necked up to 338. Technically the go gage is .002" longer but I've spoken to the reamer makers who all have said that the factories (both rifle and barrel makers) have stopped buying the federal gage and are just using the .308 gages.

I have the reamer and a barrel. A buddy and I are building a brace of them. Mine on an intermediate 98 and his on a Rem 700. The balistics are good just about 100 - 150 fps shy of the 338-06. Bassically just like the 358 Win vs 35 Whelen. I like it and it is especially good for rebarreling lite carbines that were once .308s. I had some factory test ammo but only one loaded round left. The nosler 210 partition is all you will ever need in it. the Barnes 180 or is it 185 is also a great performer. I have some of the discontinued Speer 275's for mine to take advantage of the longer magazine the mauser has.

Ya know this is confusing to me, first the "Short Magnums" come out and the gun rags praise the short fat case design to no end, but Winchester doesn't market a 338 Short mag, they go 8mm (called an "orphan bore" by many)...

Federal necks up the venerable 308 case and makes a very useable hunting round, sort of a little brother to the 9.3x62 Mauser.

It seems to me that the firearm industry is moving in two directions at once, more Magnums (Short Magnums, Super Short Magnums, Short Action Ultra Mags, Ultra magnums, etc) but also moving back to the idea of "Modest Magnums" like the 376 Steyr, 9.3x62 (thank CZ for keeping it in their 550 lineup) and now the 338 Federal.

Whadaya wanna bet that we see a new "Scout rifle" in 338 Federal in the near future? Any takers?

However looking at the ballistics of the 338 Federal I think I'll just stick with my old standbys for a bit longer; 308, 30-06, 7.62x54 and 8x57. They all do the job on anything I'll be hunting.

Jimro

I think the round is ideal for those leverguns originally chambered in .243 or .308. The Win 88, savage 99's come to mined as well as the Sako Finnwolf.

If I had it to do over again, I'd have bought new Stevens 200 in .either .243 or .308 and rebarreled with a slim 20" to 22" bbl. A nice trim under 7lb scoped rifle would be sweet and pack one heck of a whallup! It wouldn;t win any beauty contests though.

• 1 month later...