Military Firearm Restoration Corner

M48 Striker Spring Question

jl2695

I just got some Wolf 22lb striker springs to drop in my M48 and 1903 Turks to try for a little more power when shooting the 1950's Yugo 8mm. Now I'm a wondering if this will damage the firing pin or bolt in any way. The new spring is an inch longer than the old one and quite a bit stiffer. I know that these bolts are slightly shorter than a 98K so is this a bad idea??

No, the replacement spring is not a problem. It could be, if it were a bit longer, such that the coils bottom out against each other, when the spring is fully compressed. But, even with the extra length it has (it's sized for the full-length K98 actions)...it does not do this. I replaced the striker spring on my M48 with the exact spring you have...some months ago. It works perfectly. As to the firing pin....will it damage the pin ? Again, the answer is no. The replacement spring you have is 22 lbs....the standard spring was 19 lbs. There is not such a huge difference, you see. I would check the tip of your firing pin, to be sure it is not nicked or flattened. That has nothing to do with the spring, though. Also, it is a good idea to check the firing pin protrusion (when the striker is in the fired position). This should be about 0.054", or so.