Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Recrowning A Barrel?

Kyle

I'm planning on cutting the barrel on one of my Gew 88's to 20" and I'd like to put a target crown recess on it. I've been told that I first cut it to 20" with a saw, then use a 7/8ths counterbore to square the end of the barrel and finally a 1/2" counterbore for putting in the recess. Does this sound right?

Anyone have a link or something on how to do that so I can see some photos of the process as well?

Kyle,

You really need a lathe to do this right.

But it is possible to cut and crown a barrel without a lathe. Steve Wagner has discussed a method here.

Why he would do this when he's got a lathe I don't know. Maybe to help out folks without a lathe.

I don't want to be critical of Steve Wagner ('cause I owe him many beers) but I don't think that his cheap method is a good one unless you have some way of cutting the barrel perpendicular to the bore. The expensive, piloted Brownell's reamers are concevably capable of doing this following a rough cut. I can't think of a way that the grinding method would be acceptable without a pilot unless the muzzle was faced on a lathe - and if you've got a lathe its straight-forward to cut a crown.

If you have a lathe you don't need any counterbores. Just a nicely sharpened lathe bit and someone that knows how to use the compound.

How do you crown the barrel with the lathe then?

Dial it in with the bore not the outside of the barrel and just cut the desired crown. For a 11deg target crown, set the compound for 11deg and feed with the compound. You can also make or buy lathe bits to give you that rounded factory looking crown. Any counterbore or polited bit will never be as acurate as a lathe bit in a properly dialed in barrel.

-Don

I cut it to 20 inches but I still need to face it and recrown it on the lathe as it wasn't working right the past few days.

In the mean time can someone post a photo of an 11 degree target crown done on a lathe so I know exactly how it should look?

Why 11 degrees? Would 13 degrees provide the same results?

Why 11 degrees? Would 13 degrees provide the same results?

The degree doesn't really matter, it's more important that it is exactly concentric with the bore not the out side of the barrel. You need the gas to escape evenly or your groups will suffer. Most barrel's bores aren't centered.

-Don