Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bluing Tanks

Since I only rust blue that size would be perfect for me. i made mine more like 4x4x40. The 4" wide is ok but I wish they were 6" tall.

Don, That's about the same issue I have only I can get an enitre rifle in at once. My tank must be longer than 40". But at only 4" deep the water can boil off quickly or boil over if the wind isn't blowing. Not as big an issue since I stopped doing the express rust blue and went to slow rust bluing.

My Du-lite tanks are 6"W X 9" deep X 40" long, that gives me enough room to prevent boil over. I set the Chemical at 3" down from the top of the tanks. There was only one time I wished that they were longer, that's when I tried to re-blue my Vetterli, they were about 6-8" to short. Ended up cold bluing the rifle. Check with Du-Lite on their chemicals, pretty reasonable and last a lonnnng time. They supply a whole host of different manufactures. I'm very happy with my set up in the shop, I've had it in place since 2/03 and just replaced the bluing chemical this month, can't remember how many rifles and handguns I've done, but it's a lot.

Du-Lite's

Steelcoat

#45 cleaner

Kwikseal Oil

Rebel49