Military Firearm Restoration Corner

I Decided To Get Fancy!

Sailormilan2

It think its really neat as is. I like the contrast between the light wood and dark metal.

If you do stain it think about trying aqua fortis - the classic maple stock finish. It'll (probably) redden it up.

If it were mine I'd move on to the next project and be looking forward to all the comments at the next Garand match - the distraction alone might move you up in the match (not that I'm overly competitive or anything).

I'm with Doble! The contrast between the wood and metal are eyecatchers.I'd leave it just as it is,put on a carefully thought out fancy sling,and then start a restoration on another rifle making it as close to arsenal new as possible for comparisons and watch eyes bug out.I reckon you got an eyecatcher Sailorman2,I can't keep from going back looking at it.Beautiful!Jerry

I stripped and stained the stock using Fiebings Dark Brown Leather Dye. Dye was thinned using about 3/4 tsp Dye to 1/4 cup Rubbing Alcohol. Grain shows up soooo much better now. Metal has been refinished with Radocy Zinc Parkerising.

post-13-1160838164_thumb.jpg

post-13-1160838182_thumb.jpg

post-13-1160838197_thumb.jpg

post-13-1160838219_thumb.jpg

post-13-1160838234_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...