Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Gun Draws Blood!

724wd

well, my 30/06 that i built here with the help of all you guys drew it's first blood! my best whitetail ever. 19" inside, 4x4. about as good as they get around my dads place. we were out before sunrise, sitting on a draw, but nothing was moving. after about 2 hours or so, we go impatient. donny & charlie headed towards the bottom to flush anything there with me on the hill as the shooter. they didn't get far before some does busted out. 5 of them. i heard something else coming out through the dry brush, so i set the gun in the shooting sticks and waited. he made it just out of the brush when he turned and stopped to look at charlie and donny. i hit him hard in the ribs. he went down but his front wheels were still kicking, so i hit him again for insurance. i've had too many things get up and run after being hit hard. it was a completely unnecessary shot, as the first 150 grain federal fusion at 150 yards destroyed the lungs and hit the spine. he was dead, he just didnt know it. second shot was about in the same spot, just a little south.

IPB Image

IPB Image

so, saturday was a success for me, but donny didnt have a buck yet. sunday dawned cold and rainy. the wind was howling and the deer were tucked deep in bed, where i felt i should be. but duty called, so there i was on the same open hillside as the day before. donny and i watched for a while, but nothing was going out in this weather but us. it was time to try our patented method. donny sat where i did the day before, and i followed the tracks he left on his journey down the hill. i got no more than 60 yards when another big whitetail made it out of the bush, about 10 yards before succumbing to 140 grain .270 bullets. 5x7 with a split eye-guard and three kickers off the G2 on the right side. thick, heavy horns that are almost as wide as mine. another fantastic deer.

(gee these deer are friendly!)

IPB Image

IPB Image

this deer came out within 30 yards of where my buck died. it was the exact same scenario as the day before, but with donny the shooter.

IPB Image

I've hunted many more years than you,and I've never taken a deer that good,not even close.By the look of yor deers neck,and maybe the other one too,and the fact that he was with the does,I'd think they were in rut,but it looks so green and summerie(bet that aint a word).Dang those are some beautiful deer and I'm glad your getting it mounted.I reckon it's Charlies turn to get a big deer.He kinda looks down and out.Congrats on the great hunt and thanks for the pics and storey.Hunting is the only thing I love more than Mausers.Maybe I'll have a story when I get back from my mulie trip down on the Mexican border this December.I'm taking my little lightweight Swede for my no.gun this year because I plan on doing much more walking and climbing,and those canyon,rocks and thorns are hell on guns.The Swede has a synthetic stock,Choate,and 20'' barrel,so it don't weigh squat.Thanks again for the post.Jerry

well, the green summery look is because the pictures were taken in my dad's pasture next to the driveway. it's watered and mowed more than my lawn LOL! in reality, saturday was hot, but sunday was cold and rainy. good thing, too, because it was REALLY dry. i heard both deer LONG before i saw them. and unfortunately for charlie, he is from across the border in oregon (about a half hour away) so no tags for him. my dad on the other hand was a little upset. he has tried for 50 years to get a nice whitetail, and this year was unable to go due to hip pain. he was at home while we were hunting. he was happy we scored, but it would have been great to have him there with us. he is looking at probably a hip replacement. it got screwed up while moose hunting in canada. he shot a smallish moose (if there is such a thing) and swears he didnt try to lift heavy stuff, but he's in so much pain it's not even cool. he's only 63, but has abused his body pretty good through the years. the man can outwork a horse!

so, i need to call my taxidermist. he did my bear skin, bear cub full body and a deer for my dad. i did his business cards as a bit of trade for the bear body mount (it's the cutest darn thing you ever saw!). i am thinking about a pedestal mount. my ceilings in the basement aren't high enough for a wall mount, and my wife says there's no freakin' way it's going upstairs. she is still upset i havent got my 88" marlin out of the living room! but geez! where do you put a 88" marlin with 7 foot ceilings?!

thanks guys, for all your kind words. and good luck to all!