Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Dummy Rounds

manureman

How long should a person make dummy rounds? I've always made them up to max. COL.Whats the rule of thumb on this ? Thanks Jim

I make mine to the point that I want my other rounds, and adjust my dummy rounds when I make changes in my O.A.L. The good thing about dummy rounds is they are easyly reused by taking the bullet out or simply knocking the bullet out of the case just enough to adjust my oal to where I want it with out completly taking the round apart. I keep them so if I was working on rounds for another gun I can put the die back to the postion it was with for the gun I am looking to load for. I usally take a permenent marker and write which gun it is for on the dummy round and keep it in my die box. Making them max is fine for a gun that can load them .. It will be different for each gun.. My Savage 3006 will not take a bullet loaded to the max coal using 150 gr hornady's. My 8mm mauser will being the original barrel it will take most slugs at the Max coal. If the bullet in question can even be seated that far out. 185 grain plus bullets are the only ones I can make touch the lands in my mauser. 150s in the 8mm have a nice jump to make before making contact with the lands. So to answer your question it depends on the rifle in question. MIL

I use the ones from brownell if it's a caliber I don't load for already. The are made to factory ammo specs, I good start. If I have the dies, I'll make multible one some max length and some the way I intend on loading and check with both. Also use different bullets, they'll feed differerently.

-Don