Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Meier Works Floorplate Release Lever

724wd

midway just sent me a letter that my backorder for the meier works floorplate release lever was canceled because they (midway) cant get any. last i checked, brownells was also out of them. anyone know of a substitute for a floorplate lever? i havent worked with one so i dont know what goes into installation or i might be able to fab something up myself. the function and looks of the lever is important to the design on my next project, a 6mm rem on a 24/47, so i am looking for a lever, not a button....

or, if anyone have the instructions for a similar lever they could copy for me, maybe i could built one myself?

I bought one from Brownells about a month ago. One can be made if you have the stuff you need to install theirs. You have to drill out the floorplate release hole to 3/8 in. Then make a bushing 3/8 O.D. with a hole through it and silver solder it in the floorplate. They supply a catch which is threaded to accept the threaded stem and you contour it to grab the step. If you think this is confusing, you should of seen me trying to figure it out before Meiers sent me the directions which were not included. I did not use it yet and may not. I've got access to a lathe, but what about those who don't? I was going to take the dimensions of the lever itself and send it back, but I never did.

Ron

midway just sent me a letter that my backorder for the meier works floorplate release lever was canceled because they (midway) cant get any. last i checked, brownells was also out of them. anyone know of a substitute for a floorplate lever? i havent worked with one so i dont know what goes into installation or i might be able to fab something up myself. the function and looks of the lever is important to the design on my next project, a 6mm rem on a 24/47, so i am looking for a lever, not a button....

or, if anyone have the instructions for a similar lever they could copy for me, maybe i could built one myself?

You could try New England Custom Guns in NH, they do a lot of repair work on the European Firearms and they are the USA agent for Recknagel, a German Parts house similar to our Brownells. If they don't have a FP lever they could steer you in the right direction.

Good Luck

Bob

The levers look cool but after fitting one I didn't like the way it interfered with the way I like to carry a rifle. If a button type release appeals to you check this one out. I have one and love it. You simply depress and remove like the original.

IPB Image

Here is another pic showing the over-engineering that went into this. You can use a cartridge rim too incase you have gloved hands. The groove is a perfect fit for a case rim.

IPB Image

Tom Burgess makes these. Email me if you are interested and I'll put you in touch.

That's cool looking. Simple and sweet. On a Mauser, would you use the existing pin / spring routine and just shorten it? Also, great closeup of a well shaped trigger guard. I needed that, thanks.

724wd

Try here

http://sporterexpress.com/v2/ and look under trigger guards.

Walnut

Out of curiousity does the kit provide for some sort of center catch to minimize the risk of accidentally moving the lever sideways and dumping the shells.Always seemed to me the biggest potential problem with these.

They provide a tiny little set screw for this. You d & t through the floorplate, screw it in from the inside and let it protrude. You drill a little dimple in the floorplate edge of the lever and make a goove exiting one side. It acts as a detent.

I think someone (me) should make a detailed drawing of the pcs in the kit and post it seeing as how they may be drying up.

If anyone has access to a copy of Jim Carmichael's Do It Yourself Gunsmithing, goes into detail on how make one of these from scratch.

If anyone has access to a copy of Jim Carmichael's Do It Yourself Gunsmithing, goes into detail on how make one of these from scratch.

Thanks for piping in Jason! I bought this book on your recommendation and remembered this part, but I couldn't remember the name of the book. I think it's still buried in a box somewhere from our move this spring. If I weren't leaving tomorrow for a week I'd try to dig it out for you 724wd. It's got a good section on converting a military guard to hinged.

I went through various stages of Mauser interest. double triggers, fancy shotgun triggerguards, lever release floorplates, multiple leaf German/English express rear sights, side panels, ect. I finally realized that all of these evolved from late 19th century shotgun features. The average German (or Englishman) didn't really own hunting rifles until after WWI, indoor target rifles yes, hunting rifles no. Many shotgun features were carried over to hunting rifles as being traditional features of the shotguns which shooters were accustomed.

I have come full circle and feel that the M98 has about everything already on it which is necessary and helpful. I add scopes, the ocassional adjustable trigger, hinged floor plates, and replace Barley Corn sight blades. All of the other items are delicate and will create problems. As for quick release floor plate mechanisms, anything which protrudes beyond the floorplate will leave you cussing at some point as they tend to get actuated by a number of things other than your fingers, and always at a very inopertune moment. But, try them out as they're fun to mess with and look neat, then discover what I and others have. Paul Mauser thought about these things and rejected them too. Bill