Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Type I Chamber

Racepres

I have that type I that belongs to a friend here. Am going to fire it momentarily. We had alot of discussion abt what ctg. to use and the possibility that it may have been rechambered! So I modified a 30-30 round [reduced the rim] Now I'm gonna fireform her to see what it is! [cream of wheat and a wax plug over bullseye] There is probably a better way [cerrosafe] but none faster that I know of! Plus I will have a case that can be reused. What think you of this, admittedly bubba, Method? MV

IPB Image

Sorry bout the poor pic, Battery went dead on camera bout time I got everything [nearly] focused!!

But you can almost see the formed vs unformed ctg. Will get a better pic of the cases , and measure the ff one up in a bit.. MV

Looks like you have a normal 6.5x50 chamber. I use bees wax or a melted candle to get a quick chamber cast. I put a patch on the end of a cleaning rod and stick it down the barrel to where I want it, melt the bees was and pour it in the chamber. Makes a nice chamber cast to do just what you wanted to do. riceone.

Hey now that is a great idea!!! Will use it in the future.. Thanks. BTW Went thru all this cause it has been told that there are some carcano's and perhaps japs, in this area that someone was reaming w/ a 257 roberts reamer. To make use of that brass I guess?? Anyway I do agree that this one seems correct 6.5 Jap. MV