Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Lengthening Mag?

Kyle

I have a Brazilian 08/34 receiver which I'm building off of. I bought a K98 trigger guard/mag assembly thinking it should fit perfectly but since the feed ramp was modified on the Brazilian Mauser when it was converted to 30-06 from 7x57 there is a gap inbetween the end of the mag and where the feed ramp starts.

How can I modify the mag to work with this receiver?

Sure can't help w/ the modification ATT. But I would certainly see how it feeds as is! I hate to work my butt off and not gain anything!! Not sayin' it will happen to you, but why tempt that evil Fate? MV

The Brazilian probably had an extended magazine as standard issue to handle the longer 06 cartridge. Your Brazilian receiver mag well is opened or extended near the breech. You might have to have a smith lengthen it or try to buy one from Sarco or another part dealer like Numrich Gun Parts.

What is cartridge size.

I made a deal with my gunsmith, a barrel trade and he will put a Parker Hale barrel on my Brazilian and rechamber to 300 win mag. I have the extended magazine.

The Brazilian probably had an extended magazine as standard issue to handle the longer 06 cartridge. Your Brazilian receiver mag well is opened or extended near the breech. You might have to have a smith lengthen it or try to buy one from Sarco or another part dealer like Numrich Gun Parts.

What is cartridge size.

I made a deal with my gunsmith, a barrel trade and he will put a Parker Hale barrel on my Brazilian and rechamber to 300 win mag. I have the extended magazine.

I'm sure you are correct. I have seen a magazine for the 08/34 and it was longer then the standard 8x57 magazine. I was hoping I could somehow lengthen the K98 mag I have instead of trying to search for the mag specifically for that model.

What do you think?

All you have to do is weld a small piece of stock to the front of the guard and then mill it out to the receiver's dimensions. Or cut the front off and reweld it. I find it easier to use the first method.

-Don

I thought about cutting off the front and rewelding it but I hadn't thought of welding the stock and milling it out. I'll probably go with that method. How would you recommend that I weld it (I have access to torch, wire feed and stick welder).

I thought about cutting off the front and rewelding it but I hadn't thought of welding the stock and milling it out. I'll probably go with that method. How would you recommend that I weld it (I have access to torch, wire feed and stick welder).

Tig is probably the best way, but I mig weld mine.

-Don

• 1 month later...

When FN lengthed magazines for military rifles they used a very clever method. They cut out the front face of the magazine box and welded on an extension piece. Here's the clever part, when they cut out the front face of the mag. box they only cut down to the groove in the bottom of the mag. box which holds the forward lug of the floorplate. On commercial models such as the M50 Hi-power or Sears commercial models FN simply milled a longer mag. box except for the bottom opening which they left standard below the floorplate front lug recess or lip thus allowing the use of a standard floorplate.

Only the bottom lip of this groove is necessary to hold the forward lug of the floorplate and so the milling stopped short of removing it. This way the original floor plate could be used. If the entire face of the mag. box is cut away, completely down through the bottom opening, the lug groove or recess is removed and would have to be re-cut. Then, a longer floorplate would be necessary, try finding one of these floor plates, almost impossible. Might be possible to lengthen the lug or lip on the original floorplate and cut a new groove in the bottom of the mag. box face to hold it, seems pretty tricky though.

The M1903 Turk Mauser had its magazine lengthened in this manner, as did the Brazilian military model, and the first commercial models which were built on the standard M98 length actions. Check any of these out and you'll see immediately what I've described above. Good luck, the DWM or Mauser Brazilian '08 action is a wonderful action. Bill