Military Firearm Restoration Corner

KG GunKote

I am getting ready to try my hand at using GunKote. I have read their wedsite instructions so I thought it might be wise to check with all of you on the board for any tips, tricks, or possible "oops's" to use or avoid. I have been bitten bad by the Mauser bug but I want to do it right. This is my first start to finish project and I have already started two more. So please help me off to the best start possible.

Thanks All

Jiim

Thanks Jason,

Points noted.

If anyone has a specific suggestion on a top notch degreaser to use prior to applying the finish coat I am all eyes & ears.

As one that is new to the addiction I may tend to over do on the research. But after screwing up the finish on the stock three times and redoing it following Bill's methods, I figure I best take the time to make something that I will be truly pleased with every time I go into the field. I would love to get good enough at this to feel proud to gift one to my closest friend. I can't imagine a finer feeling then to have someone crack a trophy Ungulate with a rifle you built with your own two hands with one shot. Unless you have the pleasure of slamming it yourself!

Thanks for all your support!

Jim

Im not sure the name of it, but I use an automotive grade adhesive remover or degreaser, its like paint thinner, I have access to a lot of it, my family owns an autobody shop so its handy. Might check any automotive paint store or probably cheaper to run down to the local hardware store.

Guest Guest

After I'm done degreasing with paint thinner, mineral spirits, gasoline etc basically anything I have handy, I wash the metal down with a strong solution of laundry detergent and water using a soft brush. Don't use dish soap it often has lanolin and will leave a residue. I haven't seen it for a few years, White King washing SODA (not detergent or soap) was great. Make sure you rinse it real good. I've never used GunKote but the detergent has worked good for me using cold blue.

Guest Phil Schmidt

It recommends that you bead blast the surface before applying. I agree 100%. Your finish will chip off too easy if you don't.