Military Firearm Restoration Corner

What Can Be Done With 24/47's And M48's

jsandman001

Hello,

Seems like 24/47's and m48's are really cheap right now. I know they are smaller actions but what are some cartridges could one do on them besides a .308 ?

Ive only done one .308 on a vz-24 but I would like to tinker if the actions are worth getting. Would it be trouble doing .450 marlin, .50 beowulf, 500 S&W, 458 socom......would the wsm's fit in these ? I know most would be a pain because I never hear about them being done. Even if some would be a single shot proposition at first with some serious tinkering could people make these rounds feed?

I would also love to know normal rounds that could be put on these smaller actions as ive only heard .308.

Im also wondering what stock options I would have for these actions.

I have a ton of questions .....hope you guys dont mind.

Thanks,

James

James, Good to see you again.

If you don't mind single shots then you can build anything that will caliber, more or less.

As to feeding, anything with an OAL of less than 3.23" is a good candidate. That means the 257 Bob, 6mm rem, 8x57, 9x57, 9.3x57, .25-06, 7x57, any of the .308 derived cartridges and many more.

z1r,

Been a while....good to know you are still around to answer some of my questions. hope all is well with you and yours.

So pretty much any cartridge I metioned will work at the very least single shot but what are the odds of getting them to feed properly.....not worth doing?

Im just trying to think of something differnent. I also wanted to ask.....I will be getting about 6 of the actions

should I go with 24/47 or m48's (price being the same)?

What stock options do I have for intermediate actions.....when I was looking into this before the options seemed slim has that changed any?

Thanks,

James

Personally I like the 24/47 better due to better machining. Then the M48a and lastly the M48.

The stock chices are fewer than for a standard 98 but there are some good ones depending on what you want to spend. One I like is the Boyds JRS. After you whittle a couple of pounds of wood off they look pretty nice. But, most SR mauser stocks can be made to work. If you get a duplicator to make one specify that he leave the inletting undersized and you can get a nice fit. that opens up the realm of possibilities.

Every one is probably sick of this pic but here is an M48a in a JRS stock. This rifle was 95% complete when I snapped the pic. I hadn't regulated the front sight yet that's why it is so high and there is no hood on it. Thanks again Jason for that front sight!

IPB Image

The WSM's are a to make feed RIGHT. Most things can be made to feed. It just depends on how much effort, time and money you want to invest.

You can keep showing that one as often as you like, or any of the nice rifles you build. I think I even saw some stock blanks for sale on Ebay sitting on that table. Nice wood at that.