Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Lathe Report

ken98k

Well I finally got some time to play with my new lathe/mill combo from Grizzly.

After spending a few hours degreasing it I started running the motor(s) for break-in per the instructions. (10 minutes at each speed) At the third speed setting the mill motor blew a capacitor. I called Grizzly and the said they'd get one to me ASAP.

Next I completed the lathe break-in and that went okay so I figured I'd try my hand at making some bushings.

After about 20 minutes of experimenting, the lathe motor quit and will only work in reverse.

I guess I’ll be back on the phone with Grizzly in the morning.

A lot of these Asian made machines need a thorough cleaning inside and out before use. I have a small Chinese made lathe and the headstock was full of dirt and metal chips. If I had not been warned prior to use this would have caused major problems. As it is the machine has been great after getting it cleaned up. You might want to take a look at yours if you haven't already.

Unfortunately grizzly doesn't inspect and run their machines they import. So it's up to the consumer to find the problems. It's a way to keep the costs down. Great if you get a good one, but in your case not so good. Inspect and clean the machine thoroughly and it should serve you well after working the bugs out. Please keep us informed of their customer service and good luck.

-Don

I talked to Grizzly again today and they said the switch was bad on the lathe so I swaped it with the mill (same type) and it worked. At least I can continue practicing with the lathe while the mill parts are being shipped.

And believe me, I need lots of practice!

Kenny

I talked to Grizzly again today and they said the switch was bad on the lathe so I swaped it with the mill (same type) and it worked. At least I can continue practicing with the lathe while the mill parts are being shipped.

And believe me, I need lots of practice!

Kenny

Which model number did you get? I've been looking at the Grizzly products and some that Harbor Freight sell, but I'm not sure if I should get the combo or a dedicated lathe. One thing I'm seeing is that a lot of the lathes only got down to 300rpm and it is my understanding that you use 250 rpm for a lot of the work and that you use 60 rpm for chambering. I mostly plan on doing barreling but the mill option sure is tempting. Thanks..............Scott

Which model number did you get? I've been looking at the Grizzly products and some that Harbor Freight sell, but I'm not sure if I should get the combo or a dedicated lathe. One thing I'm seeing is that a lot of the lathes only got down to 300rpm and it is my understanding that you use 250 rpm for a lot of the work and that you use 60 rpm for chambering. I mostly plan on doing barreling but the mill option sure is tempting. Thanks..............Scott

Scott

I got the model G7929 lathe/mill combo. So far I'm happy with it other than the defective electrical components mentioned above.

I do heating work as my main income and it's very common to install a furnace or boiler one day, then have to go back a day or two later and replace controls that have failed. Unfortunately that's how things are made now-a-days.

Grizzly's service dept has been very helpful with these problems.

The book says slow speed is 175 rpm's but the speed chart on the machine says 160 rpm.

Kenny