Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Floating Reamer Holders (edited)

milsurpcollector

Not to be a jerk, but I believe you mean floating reamer holders?

I have used two types but have three. I have use the Bald Eagle I believe it's called. I liked it. Clark made his own.

I also have a commercial floating reamer holder. It doesn't just move side to side but also axially. Very expensive.

I have a Dave Manson holder that I just got but have never used.

nothing beats proper setup.. Get your lathe dialed in and you won;t need one. Now that I have a new lathe I will dispense with the floating reamer holders. Once I get it doaled in of coarse. On my old lathe I HAD to use one.

Z,

Thats exactly what I mean and no offense taken I just chambered my first barrel blank without one.

Got the 4 jaw dialed in at .001 runout indicating off a plug gage stuck in the barrel.

I also used a spider on the back end of the headstock.

I used a dead center to push the reamer.

it seemed to come out pretty tight, but the proof will be in the shooting.

Is there a way to make sure that the tail stock and the headstock are aligned vertically.

I made a test bar and got the side to side alignment close to perfect

Lol, I can cut a test bar that is perfectly straight. But, if I put centers in and run the tail stock up to the center in the headstock they will not be aligned. Wear in the ways. So the tail stock is offset.

Yes, you can try the center test to get close then use an indicator to get setup.