Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Good Titles For A Library?

littlecanoe

The thread on R.E. LEE got me to thinking about good historical works that are good additions to a personal library.

I understand that Karl and Goth are history profs/teachers and I'm sure that there are others who study and cherish history. With this in mind I was hoping that we could start listing some favorite titles or those that you feel would be essential to round out your study and education.

I'll start. Sir William Blackstone "Commentaries on the Laws of England". Don't own a copy yet.

LC

What do you like to read about?

I have a few I treasure: "Wonder O' the Wind", Phillip Keller; A Severe Mercy, Van Vanauken; the complete Chronicles of Narnia; Common Sense; a few versions of the Bible, Private Yankee Doodle; Annie Oakley books; woodworking and home improvement books; Elizabeth Barrett Browning; medical books.

I mean no offense to what anyone considers necessary and important to their personal library by what I will type here. What I was thinking above was more along the lines of those books which you would consider dearest. In saying this I think of pioneers coming over the plains where every pound of baggage had to be weighted for its importance. They brought only the best and dearest with them. Also, I was thinking more along the line of patriotic/historic; those things written by and that influenced our founding fathers.

I would also add to the list authors of the early church and reformation. John Owen, John Baxter, John Bunyan, Martin Luther, John Calvin.............Augustine. To me this information would be something that I would want to pass down to my descendents.

Having said that, I have about all of Louis L'Amour's books and some of Zane Gray's. I wouldn't include those books on my list.

LC

If you enjoy reading alternative history, try reading Harry Turtledove's Timeline series. The series of books I'm reading start with the Confederacy winning the War Between the States and runs through World War II. Pretty good stuff if you're a reader.

I have also read Tom Clancy's entire Jack Ryan series. A little technical and repetitive at times, but overall I found them very entertaining.

I quite enjoy the sci fi writings of Jack Vance ... The Dying Earth and Eyes of the Overworld are fine books. The Demon Princes series is very good as well, a mix of mystery, intrigue and a quest for interplanetary revenge. B)

The original Sherlock Holmes stories by Arthur Conan Doyle are quite enjoyable too ... interesting as stories and descriptive of the social climate of the time. :)

In the classics, The Golden Ass by Apuleius (sp?) will keep you in stitches, as will The 12 Caesars by Suetonius. No one should omit the reading of Don Quixote (Cervantes) either ... belly laughs galore! :lol:

In a more serious vein, Lives of the Noble Greeks/Romans by Plutarch is an indispensable 'who's who' of ancient times and great reading. The Prince by Machiavelli is a worthwhile review of politics and power. I'd have to spend a little time trying to sort out which of the dialogues of Plato to choose as well.

Ancient literature includes the plays of Aeschylus and Sophocles, especially the Orestia, the Theban Plays and the Agamemnon. The Clouds by Aristophanes is a humourous expose of the dangers inherent in teaching the young. Apparently a little knowledge is a very dangerous thing indeed. Most of these require some grounding in the culture of the times to fully appreciate.

George Orwell's Animal Farm is a hilarious satirical jab at totalitarian government, and makes its point simply and effectively ... for my money better than 1984 if somewhat irreverent. :P

That's all I can think of for now, but a good start, I think. :)

"Having said that, I have about all of Louis L'Amour's books and some of Zane Gray's. I wouldn't include those books on my list. LC"

LC,

I would think, that having been said, would qualify for the list. I think Louis L'Amour is one of the finest authors ever.......

I also have every one of his books.

Mike