Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Winchester Style Floorplate Release

montea6b

Somebody on this forum emailed me their technique for doing a Winchester model 70 style release for a hinged floorplate on a Mauser triggerguard, but I can't seem to find what was sent, and I don't remember who it was now. Whoever it was, could you please contact me, resend, or post it here?

-M

Check out Roy Dunlap's Gunsmithing starting on page 593. I believe you'll find some ideas.

Also, if you can track him down, Morgansboss has done some Win style floorplate releases as well.

Take care,

Jason

Thanks Jason, it probably was Morgansboss no that I think about it.

I can't find my copy of the gunsmithing book. I bought it on your recommendation mainly because of the chapter on hinging a military guard, but it hasn't resurfaced since the move last year.

Well, just kind of a tutorial with photos I guess. Short of the Zastava side button which I don't particularly care for, I think this style would be most resistant to inadvertent opening, as well as fairly easy to do. I'd like to try for the in-the-bow release like you do, but that seems like not only more labor intensive, but easier to mess up and have it look bad.

I remember that you have to drill a hole at approximately 45 degrees for the plunger, and then you'd have to make a plunger and a way to keep it and the spring from coming out. Just looking for enought detail mainly so that I don't have to think everything out from scratch.

I actually saved a photo of another unique style I came across that I hadn't seen before that I just might end up trying. Very similar to the in the bow style, but without the release button actually inside the bow if you can picture that. (I'm traveling with my laptop and the picture is on my home computer or I'd post a shot of what I'm talking about.)

I'll take any ideas you have!

My brother has done 2 Mauser guards Winchester style. I believe he sketched out what he did. I had made him a 1:1.5 scale drawing of the bottom metal so he had something to draw his ideas to. If there is enough detail to help, I'll scan and try to post. Like you said he angle drilled for the button which he made on a lathe. The button has a notch on it's side with enough length for travel. Then a .093" roll pin was put through the guard to prevent the button from coming out. I don't remember if he counterbored the back of the button for the spring. I'll talk to him tonight.

Actually a mauser bow unless you contour the front, has less flare than a win70. I find that you don't have alot of clearance for your finger on the plunger. To fix this I recontour the front or the bow with a 1/2" ball mill, a file would work. The plunger is exactly the same as a win70 except sometimes longer. The only other thing I can think of is the recess in the bottom of the guard where the trigger goes is thin so sometimes the drill goes all the way through and you don't have a spring stop. To fix this in the past I just drill another pin hole and use the pin to retain the string. Other than that use a win70 guard as a templete to drill. I'll try to find some pics.

-Don

Monte, here's a sketch that may help. I made this at 1.5 : 1, but I don't know if it will print that way. Either way it's to scale. It's a Turk guard that my brother did the Winchester style button release to. Like Don said a little reshaping is done for better access with the fingertip. The 1/8 thru hole helps to remove from the top with a punch if the pin gets dirty / sticky. The well in the upper section above the bow gets filled so you have some material to work with. I think he got the spring at Sears hardware. I'll try my hand at posting pictures when my wifes camera gets home from spring break with my son.

This was all done with a drill press and files. Same with the hinge. The X & Y axis vises will work with a milling cutter in a drill press except they tend to cut oversize. It's tough to justify a mill for what little we do. triggerguard.pdf

Monte, here's a sketch that may help. I made this at 1.5 : 1, but I don't know if it will print that way. Either way it's to scale. It's a Turk guard that my brother did the Winchester style button release to. Like Don said a little reshaping is done for better access with the fingertip. The 1/8 thru hole helps to remove from the top with a punch if the pin gets dirty / sticky. The well in the upper section above the bow gets filled so you have some material to work with. I think he got the spring at Sears hardware. I'll try my hand at posting pictures when my wifes camera gets home from spring break with my son.

This was all done with a drill press and files. Same with the hinge. The X & Y axis vises will work with a milling cutter in a drill press except they tend to cut oversize. It's tough to justify a mill for what little we do. triggerguard.pdf

Excellent drawing Walnut. Very professional looking.

Kenny

Thanks, Kenny. I didn't mean to wait so long to say thanks, but I can't log on at home. I need to check settings or something on that computer. At work it's just the opposite. If I don't log out, the next time I open, I'm already logged in. Me and computers = oil and water. Who am I kidding, anything electronic!

Very nice drawing Walnut, thanks! I found the photo of the unusual release I alluded to, here it is:

Floorplate%20release.jpg

It's a little tough to see from the half sized photo. It appears that the pivot hole is in the same place as the 1909 style in the bow release, so the spring arrangement should be similar. Interesting approach.