Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Colt M1878 Frontier Da

Gothmog

I just acquired a Colt M1878, built in 1885 and discovered that the double action trigger works ok but the hammer will not lock into place for single action shooting, nor will it lock in the half cock position (safety). I've looked over parts diagrams and suspect that a worn sear is the issue, but I am woundering if anyone else might offer some suggestions as to the likely culprit here.

Thanks Swamprat ... I suppose I'll just have to take it in to the Gunsmith and see what can be done. I'm not sure if its possible or even desirable to repair existing parts in a collectable. I suspect replacing them with modern parts is good from a functional point of view but may also adversely affect collectability.

• 1 month later...

I'm not much on DA's,but have tinkered with a few single actions,and it sounds like a broke trigger spring.They usually work the hammer but will not lock in a notch.The trigger springs in Colt SA's were,are,famous for breaking.They're just a flat piece of spring steel with a hump in it.The spring holds pressure against the sear,pushing it down into the trigger notch when it goes by.What a dandy pistola you have there Goth.Good luck with fixing her and let us know the verdict.Jerry

Hi Guys,

I just noticed the recent responses to this thread now ....

I still haven't gotten around to dealing with this gun, I'll probably take it to a gunsmith friend of mine for an initial consultation. Are these guns reasonably easy to take apart and work on? Getting it back together correctly would be a bonus too! :lol:

I suppose once it has a clean bill of health I would consider shooting it. Anyone have any info on BP loads for the 45 Colt, or a good place to look?

Very kewl revolver, GM. That big trigger loop will probably come in handy up there.

I don't know if Accurate Powders are available in Canuckada, but they're about all I use. I'm surprized that they don't spec a load for their excellent 5744 for the Colt 45. Here's some smokeless loads that they offer if you don't feel like taking her apart after the Holy Black: Accurate's Colt 45 cowboy loads.