Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Required Reading

hodgie

im wondering what books you consider gunsmithing must reads? i have the NRA updated, the walmart John Traister. and the Do it yourself book, jim carmichael on the way from amazon. (i hope its the right book) what other books do you recommend? i dont have a fortune to spend, but i want to pick-up some more books. does anyone have the guns,ith machinist, by steve acker? if so, how is it? recommend it?

Bolt Action Rifles by Frank De Haas

http://www.amazon.com/Bolt-Action-Rifles-F...8920&sr=1-1

Introduction to Modern Gunsmithing by MacFarland

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_seeall_2...Ci%3Astripbooks

The second seems to be out of print, but you can still find overstocks and used editions.

Have you checked your local library? The few I've checked had rather extensive selections of gunsmithing books. Ackley, MacFarland, Wood, and more. Ackley actually had a nice book on gunsmithing, although I haven't seen it for a while.

hodgie, Go to Ebay and look up gunsmithing books by Dunlap, Howe, Vickery, & Baker. With the exception of Roy Dunlap's, these books were written in the 30's and have some good basic info in them. I'm not for sure that Dunlap's wasnt written in the 30's too but there have been later printings.

I got my start in this crazy business by reading "How To Convert Military Rifles" (the original edition) by Williams Gun Sight Company.

"On The Range" Since 1926.

Not good reading for the boys on Bill's board.

fritz

The two books which gave me the most help were Baker's book written in the 1930s. He hand make most of his own tools and the average person could do just about anything following his instructions. I think he had only 3 electric tools, a lathe, a high speed grinder used by dentists and surgeons, and an electrict light. He is especially helpful in polishing/blueing metal, and fitting/finishing a stock. Secondly, get the most detailed technical book on the history and evolution of whatever firearm you most favor.

With these two books you will gain a basic understanding of your favorite firearms, and, great advice on how to work with them. My good friend Amos says, "Ya don't become a great lover by read'in a book about it." I agreed but reminded him that his father had forbidden him to get anywhere near the livestock during his high school years, and ultimately it may have been quicker to read a book. Bill

thanx alot guys, ive got a few on order from amazon. my library has nothing . i didnt realize there was a forum for these. thanx, FC