Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mark II Safety

farmall

Supposed to be a fairly easy installation and seemed to be...

I ground the little slot in the shroud a bit at a time until the cocking piece would pass. Put the bolt back together...Put the bolt into the action to test function. Flipped the safety off and on. Cocking piece went forward and back. So far so good. Flipped the safety off and dry fired. Now for the problem...After "firing", I couldn't open the bolt. I ended up having to manually recock (pull back the cocking piece) in order to open the bolt so I could remove it. I did retry the safety while the bolt was cocked and it worked as before. But...I really don't want a single shot...

I didn't have a whole lot of time (between "honey do" jobs) to try to figure out what's going on but figured someone else has experienced this problem and could point me in the right direction quickly...

Thanks in advance.

Farmall

farmall. I did have the same problem once with one of these safeties that I used on a turk bolt. It has been some time since that happened but if memory serves me here goes. When the rifle was fired, the bolt could not be opened, but if I wiggled the safety while trying to open the bolt I could find the spot that would allow it to work. Seems the safety set just a shade too deep into the shroud and I had to lightly file the rear of the cam area of the safety. If you can get the bolt to open a few times this way carefully examine that area of the safety and see if you can find a small burr or spot that seems to be binding. Try comparing the MarkII to the original for length and the contour of the camming area. Hope this helps.

swamp thing

swamp thing

By George, I think you nailed it! The slot may have been filed/cut too deeply. That would allow the lever to go past where it should stop, and bring the cam into play again.

It is the cheap left-side mounted safeties that give me the fits. They usually don't fit as installed, and have to have some alteration done. They are easier to screw up than the Mk 11 safety. There is nothing wrong with the Mk 11, unless you feel uncomfortable about cutting that notch in the shroud.

fritz

Thanks Swamp Thing & Fritz.

Looks like it may be "over-rotating" a bit (wiggled the crap out of the "locked" bolt and the safety now has a shiny surface where it shouldn't). A touch with the file and it should work as designed.

Thanks again.

Farmall