Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Need Some Good Hand Loads For A Walther P-1

Fellas.

I need some good hand loads for my Walther p-1.

I have "red dot', bulls-eye, Hs6, accurate #2 and unique on hand.

winchester primers and 124 gr fmj bullets.

any ideas?

karl

Hi Karl,

Speer lists Unique at 5.5 gr to 5.9 gr MAX for a 124 gr bullet, but I have never used that powder. Bullseye is listed between 4.6 and 5.0 gr ... Red dot is listed from 4.5 to 4.8 gr but please note that is with a 125 gr bullet.

I use Winchester 231 at 4.6 gr, MAX is at 5.0 gr of powder.

A couple others I've never tried are contained in an old Hornady manual, once again for 125 gr bullets. LMK if they might be of use to you.

My Speer manual maintains that bullet seating depth is quite critical with the 9mm Luger round. Avoid seating bullets too deep and use bullets with a cannelure as very little crimp can be used to prevent the bullets being accidentally seated deeper when shooting.

Hope that helps!

• 4 weeks later...

Karl,

How'd that work-out for you?

I've just picked-up a Hi-Power that I've been loading for.

The 9 headspaces off the case mouth so GM is right-on about crimping.

The HP happily eats everything I can fit into the magazine. I've got a (really) old Star that is more picky and insists on round nose bullets seated-out to as close to max OAL as I can manage.

My standard load for everything has become Win 115 flatbase round nose bullets seated to 1.145" over 5.6 gr of Unique. Its not a pipsqueak but not really hot either.

I've got a set of the Lee dies with the post-sizer that I wouldn't be without for semi-autos. It's this one. It looks like the price has gone up, but if you've already got a set and have feeding trouble with your handloads think about getting a post sizing die.

Those P1s are REALLY COOL.