Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bought Another 1917

This barrel is too short to convert, so if it shoots good I'll just use it. Maybe restock it and put a new bolt handle on. If not it has a better looking action (from what I can see) than the winchester I have planned for a 300 h+h. I'll have to wait and see. The price was right though.

-Don

Already being de-eared, d&t'd, and real iron (not plastic) sights installed you got a smoking deal. Just considering the cost of a sporter stock, even if it is not walnut makes it even better. If the barrel shoots good, I'd be tempted to keep it simple and convert it to 308 Norma mag. Don't worry about the addiction, everybody in this group understands. Can't tell you how many I've bought simply because it was a good deal. For a 148 bux I would have jumped on it like flys on a turd. I avoid Gunbroker, to many good deals and no where near enough spare change.

I've got 2 1917 Enfields collecting dust on the to do list. I picked one up at a pawn shop with the idea of converting it but whomever parted with it had it rebarreled with an unknown maker's medium weight barrel, added an ajustable trigger and a nice stock. It shoots so dam good as is, even with the cheapie dime store scope it came with. I may never get around to doing anything with it.

What do you have to pay for receiving fees in your area?? I'm paying either 30 or 35.

Already being de-eared, d&t'd, and real iron (not plastic) sights installed you got a smoking deal. Just considering the cost of a sporter stock, even if it is not walnut makes it even better. If the barrel shoots good, I'd be tempted to keep it simple and convert it to 308 Norma mag. Don't worry about the addiction, everybody in this group understands. Can't tell you how many I've bought simply because it was a good deal. For a 148 bux I would have jumped on it like flys on a turd. I avoid Gunbroker, to many good deals and no where near enough spare change.

I've got 2 1917 Enfields collecting dust on the to do list. I picked one up at a pawn shop with the idea of converting it but whomever parted with it had it rebarreled with an unknown maker's medium weight barrel, added an ajustable trigger and a nice stock. It shoots so dam good as is, even with the cheapie dime store scope it came with. I may never get around to doing anything with it.

What do you have to pay for receiving fees in your area?? I'm paying either 30 or 35.

This makes 7 for me, 3 are shooters the rest actions in the works. 1 rem, 4 win, 2 era p14's. I know I should be building not buying. As for receiving fees, $25 from a shop 2 blocks from the house this one didn't cost me anything though I can't disclose in public why.

-Don

Well Don if you ever feel a little guilty about owning so many Enfields and feel like passing a good deal along, I'd be happy to help you out. For $148 I'd of been all over that deal too. I never can seem to find those kinds of deals...some guys have a "luck" gene and I don't have it. It looks like you do.

Also FWIW, a transfer is running $20-$35 in my area.

Well Don if you ever feel a little guilty about owning so many Enfields and feel like passing a good deal along, I'd be happy to help you out. For $148 I'd of been all over that deal too. I never can seem to find those kinds of deals...some guys have a "luck" gene and I don't have it. It looks like you do.

Also FWIW, a transfer is running $20-$35 in my area.

Jason,

I have a winchester receiver that already has the ears milled off and is drilled for a side scope mount that I'd be willing to part with. Decent bluing and I could even throw in a P14 bolt. Are you ready for a real magnum?

-Don

Well done.

I have been trying to cut back, I have to get the Hippy a new car, she ONLY had the last one for 18 years : ), but I would have gone for that with out a second glance.

karl

• 2 weeks later...
Well done.

I have been trying to cut back, I have to get the Hippy a new car, she ONLY had the last one for 18 years : ), but I would have gone for that with out a second glance.

karl

Karl wish I'd known the Hippie needed wheels. I recently gave away my hippymobiles, two VW Beetles and parted with a VW Bus for a $100. The guy that took the bus looked like a 75 year old member of ZZ Top. His son was thrilled that the bus still had the original VW emblem on the front. He said something to my son about expecting a peace sign on the front. My first wife (we married 1970) was a bonifide late 60's hippie but she preferred Ford Falcons, Econoline vans and Rancheros. She drove her 63 Falcon till the mid 80's. She had a few VW's in between but always somehow persuaded her father into fixing up the Falcon after he got tired of working on the Beetles.