Military Firearm Restoration Corner

User names and how you came up with them

Horsefly

montea6b --

Thanks for the suggestion, however, I detest coffee! I guess that's why I never gave percol8 much thought...however, I will add it to my list, just in case I run out of ideas, and/or develop a fondness for coffee!

Ringo338 --

Ixlr8 won't work for me because it's not an "L8" word! A few years back I thought I would be able to use it until I looked at it more closely...actually, the variation I was going to use was Accelr8...but still no "L8"! Also, I don't care all that much for hot rods, and I'm not a man! But, you still get an "A" for effort! LOL!!

I haven't eaten emu flesh yet, I remember the emu farming thing some years back, but I had no idea why it didn't seem to get off the ground. However, I have eaten ostrich...and ostrich is very like ultra tender beef. A health food store that I used to frequent carried a brand of ostrich meat sticks called "Ostrim", and they were excellent! I don't know why Americans don't catch on to the qualities of these food animals and start demanding them. Maybe there's a sense of strangeness to the idea of people eating animals that we see in zoos? Like eating a zebra or a tapir, it just seems wrong somehow. I know that I would find it really weird to eat something like kangaroo, but Australians do it, and kangaroo leather is some of the best leather in the world. Australians even eat the wild camels that are breeding throughout the outback...I love camels, I wouldn't want to eat one though.

I had to laugh at manureman's post...that's just such a hunter thing to do...kill this big ol' bird and toss it on the grill to find out whether or not it's edible!

I think the reason Emu didn't catch on was the name. Now if it had been named, " One big assed turkey"! Or" two legged buffalo". Every boby and their brother would of wanted it. It just had the wrong marketing. Nobody wants to eat a cute zoo bird, but give it a bad rep and a manly name and the next thing you know it's on the endangered list! laugh.gif

Swamprat

Rat I always figured it was because it was so expensive but you may very well be right about the name....all though when that thing stood up out of the brush and hissed real big and deep at me in the dark from about 8 or 10 feet away it got called a few manly sounding names even if I wasnt actin' all that manly doin' it sure thought it was a man eater of some kind for a few seconds! Jim

If it's cooked right,it's pretty good.It kinda taste like beef.Well then,why not just eat beef? A BBQ place near Ft.Worth had emu and really pushed it,so I gave it a try,and it was ok,but I wish I had spent my money on the beef that was great.I ate ostrich neck stew in Africa a few years back,and it taste just like stew made out of ostrich necks.I won't be eating birds that can't fly anymore.The locales said the stew was their favorite fancy dish.It sucked bigtime.I've read where most Native Americans favorite meat was buffalo,then venison(deer,elk,antelope),horse,mule,some northeastern tribes,dog,and bottom of the list was cows.Jerry

Support the beef industry--run over a chicken!

Or an emu, an ostrich, or anything that is supposed to taste like beef, but ain't!

Beef--it's what's for dinner!

I just had me a nice beef steak fresh off the grill tonight. Mrs fritz brought home a salad, and what more do you need?

Emu? It's for the birds!

fritz

Horsefly --

I STILL prefer buffalo meat to that of beef...it's just better...really.

Back when my tribe was imprisoned at Ft. Sill, OK in the late 1800s, the soldiers gave the tribe a steer to slaughter and boy, were those Indians unhappy! Every single one of them found beef to be completely unsatisfying...it was stringy, flavorless and generally pathetic. However, in all these years since my tribe has adapted and nowadays, beef rules at all family reunions and pow-wow campsites!

A few years ago, I went to a family reunion dinner and everyone brought a dish, potluck style (not unusual as Indians invented the potluck dinner!). There was a large table where everyone placed their foil-covered platters, dishes, etc., until it was time to eat, and everything was uncovered. Guess what? Every dish on that table was some variation of beef. Hamburger patties, grilled entrails, boiled beef, fried beef and some "specialties" of my tribe that are pretty nasty, but they involve the use of beef! There wasn't a vegetable to be found within 50 yards...well, except for the corn growing in the field nearby! Everyone gathered around the table just started laughing! But we all wolfed down the beef too!

When I became a vegetarian in my late teens, my Indian relatives said they were going to disown me...this is how strong the red meat thing is for Indians, there are people I know named for meat...we love our meat!

So now, aside from certain meat items that I am forbidden from eating on religious and cultural grounds, I will still at least try many types of animal flesh, ostriches being one of them. Sure the flesh of ostriches is expensive, but when it's a nice, savory piece of meat, one doesn't really need much of it to feel satisfied...at least, that's how it works for me. And, I would love to try emu too, if I could find it somewhere...though, in all honesty, I haven't really looked for it.

The emus I have come across have been somewhat cranky birds, and not altogether cute, I might add...but there's just got to be something else about them that makes even the idea of consuming them unappealing...maybe it is the name.

Emul8,

I never tried buffaloe (damned, is it with the "e' or not?) but we had a neighbor who was a rich fellow because of his paintings try bufffalo ranching here.

You need VERY strong fences and corrals to hold those beligerent animals. We have also had some who tried longhorn cattle.

It didn't pan out, maybe because there was no market for the buffalo, or because he was no cowboy in the first place. He had the money, but not the experience.

How about old man Turner and his herd of buffalo? Did he succeed in his buffalo herd? I heard he owned quite a spread out west. But he still went to sleep at the baseball games!

Some people will try anything. It's the American way.

fritz

Along time ago, when the boys were little and we had two dogs, I would usually have some fun by trying to make the dogs howl. This worked so well that it would cause the boys to join in. The wife called us "just a pack of dogs" and that I was the topdog. So my old network name was topdog. Well, there are a lot of people already using that name. mad.gif

As the boys got older we started taking martal arts classes called Shaolin Kenpo. So then the wife started calling me Kenpo Joe. dry.gif I thought that this name was better than topdog and that is how I got my User name. cool.gif

724wd...

1972 Chevrolet Pickup, 4 wheel drive. on a board dedicated to such vehicles, 724wd was taken, so i ended up with 724wdcopper by adding my dog's name. seems like that is a common occurance judging by the number of fellas here that have used a dog's name in their handle. when i joined this board, i stuck with my original 724wd because it's shorter... dry.gif

as far as emus go, i know my sister was quite interested in buying into them. never got around to it, and probably a good thing at that! i have not personally eaten any, but hey, it's meat, i'd knaw on a chunk if i was hungry. at least it's not soy based!

Grandpap had a few Farmalls (though his favorite tractor was his Allis-Chalmers WD-45 wide front)...

The first tractor I was on (as an infant) was a Farmall (460)...

The first anything that I drove was a Farmall (230 front with Super-C rear and cowling)...

Great combination of power and weight dominated the fairs' dead weight tractor pulls and quite a few of the transfer sled pulls (the green, orange and especially blue tractors needed lots of extra weight to pull in the right class or were WAY over-powered for the lighter class that the stock machine could make).

Shame how time and life leads you away from some of the things that you love...haven't played with tractors in years...but played with my boys last night...

Anyway, that's why my handle's farmall...

I used "Stan741" which is my first name and the year of my birth.

You were born in 741? Man, you're old!

I never tried buffaloe (damned, is it with the "e' or not?)

I hear that Dan Quayle spells it with an "e".

Just havin' fun... biggrin.gif

I chose the Redneck moniker for two reasons. When I first started surfing the net I spent alot of time in political newsgroups. The bleeding heart, winer, crybaby liberals more often than not when challenged for facts would resort to name calling. For some strange reason replying to thank you when being called a redneck used to really irritate them.

I am viewed by some of my wealthy yuppy relatives as a redneck. One limosine liberal realtive in paticular used to talk down to me, calling me red for short. Never been to my house, assumed I lived in a trailer park and used to make remarks about me living in Redneck Manor. A good example, at a family gathering I was bragging about a hunting-camping trip and his wife got elbowed by another realtive for saying "ohhh how barrrbarrric why didn't you rent a Winnabego" when I told them of trying to set up a tent in a rainstorm and sleeping in the cab of my pickup. "Ohhh how cruel is that how rednecks hunt" when I described varmit calling. Their attitude changed when they needed somebody to drag their daughter out of a biker bar. They sent me a check for $500 with an apolegetic letter vowing to never call me a redneck again. I returned the check with a note saying I take being called a redneck as a compliment.

I've always liked Redneck myself. In Africa,a Redneck is an Englishman and is looked down a bunch.When I was there,Jeff Foxworthy was popular,and they couldn't believe he used the Redneck word so much and people just laughed.Jerry

Guest Guest_Eldora_*

Mine came out of frustration trying to think of something that wasn't already taken. I live in a community called Eldora in Northwest North Carolina.

mines pretty boring but Ive used it as a nickname for almost 20 years, it goes back to highschool when me and a buddy of mine worked at Sears, couple of my bosses were always looking for me , and I was always conveniently not around..... So my buddy just called me Jason the Hunted, when they were hunting for me. Name stuck, and at least I like it.

I'm relatively new to the use of firearms. Ever since I was a teen I lived and breathed bowhunting. Since then I managed to feed my kids quite a few bambi burgers when we lived in Kansas, and one of the bucks I took there qualifed for the book. A few years ago I did a number on my rotator cuff and that put pulling a bow on ice. That and relocating to New Mexico with a new job I decided to cool it and let my shoulder heal; I just didn't want the surgery if I could avoid it. Any way, I got to tinkering with the mauser my dad had left me from his paratrooper days with the 82nd in Germany. After learning how to shoot it, I've come to appreciate it as a real gem. An all matching dou 44 with a mirror bore. So I took my first name and spliced dou to it. Now having come down with a severe case of mauseritis, I now have a number of them, including a few cousins. I took a nice bull elk in northern New Mexico this past season with an Israeli reworked 1940-147 chambered in 7.62. My bows continue to collect dust; I guess I'm getting lazy.