Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Horsefly

montea6b

It has been Texas-hot up here in the PNW this week, and yesterday I cooled off after work with a "Horsefly". (at least if I remember what one is...) Cold beer on the rocks with a dash of salt, right? Horsefly are you still out there to check me on this?

I normally favor richer, complex ales, (I'm a northwest beer snob...) but an ice cold Bud sure hit the spot yesterday. Does anybody remember if there was a particular flavor beer to make the recipe correct?

Miller Beer tried a beer called Chille or something and tried marketing it here in S. Texas. It is supposed to resemble a Mexican beer with a dash of lime.

Folks here sometimes took a Corona and put a slice of lime on the bottle, so they came up with this new beer.

It flopped.

fritz

That's funny, Just today I was thinking of the "Horsefly" After cutting the grass but had no beer, and inlaws and kids from out of town to entertain.

I couldn't remember exactly what all is in it either. I remembred salt and ice ............Jerry?

Mike,

You're on the right track. The ice gets it cold and the salt makes it colder. The only beer I know of that *might* colder and more refreshing on an extremely hot day is a beer that's sloshed around in the cooler in my dad's ski boat while we're all out water skiing. There's nothing like cracking open a cold Bud that's so cold it has ice crystals in it while you're at the lake. Still, if you're hot, a Horsefly'll do it for you every time. Plus, any drink named after a mule-lipped North Texan is bound to be good, right?

Fritz,

That Chille schitt is going strong up here in college kingdom. The younger students like it because it says Miller on the label (meaning its a beer), but it has lime in it (so it doesn't taste like a beer). I've tried it and I think it sucks. Give me an ice cold Budweiser, Miller Light, or Shiner Bock any day. Or a Guinness twice on Sunday! Any beer that you have to add fruit to is just crap in my opinion and unfit for a man to drink. But that's just my opinion so take it for a grain of salt.

Jerry,

You'll probably find this tomorrow morning about 5:50 AM and I hope it gets your Friday off on the right foot!

Good night all,

Jason

Ha ha,your so wrong Jason! I got it at 4:39am,but it did get me off on the right and left foot.Some of the cats at work put 1/2 a lemon in the beer,my wife puts a whole lime in hers. I use a big tea glass,3/4 full of ice,a lot of salt,then beer stirred real good.When your real hot,you can drink one of these just like water 'cause they go down so good.I gotta admit,I like lime in mine.I've never been one to drink beer with a meal,but the coolers are different.Once I get cooled down,I'm back on regular beer.

Montea6b,I've been watching the weather,and I truley feel for you folks.At least down here we expect it to get hot.Mother Nature kinda screwed ya'll outa one of your benefits of living up there.Summer just got here this week.Off to work.Have a large day dudes.Jerry