Military Firearm Restoration Corner

8x57 Handloads Vs. 8mm-06?

brian923

i cant seem to find any info on the 8mm-06 round. i would like to know how it stacks up to handloaded 8x57 rounds? i am just wanting to see if it would be better to leave my barrrel as 8 mauser, or chamber it to 8mm-06. i will be handloading most of the time. so this is why i gave the 8mm-06 a look. i can see though that the 8x57 would be a bit better if i were to every be in need of more ammo. thanks guys, brian.

hey guy, most of the popular reload mauals list the 8-06. loadbookusa has a load book on the 8-06/338-06 data. Accurate load manuals do to. I have both. The 8-06 in a 23-24" barrel will only give about 50 to 100 fps more. My 8-06 uses a turk 8x57 rechambered barrel (29") to 8-06 but it,s also rethroated .150". I'm getting about 150 to 175fps more. Not all will do the same.If you don't want to spend alot , I'd leave it as a 8x57 std. the 8x57 properly loaded can do pretty much anything an 30-06 can handle. I've just got a good one.Just my .07 worth. Dave PS Here is a pic of my 8-06 truck gun.