Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Decypher Ejector Holes

tinkerfive

The only hole ( o ) in an ejector that seems logical is the one just large enough for the stem of the ejector box screw.

I have several ( 0 ) that are oval.

A few ( O ) are just over sized.

Anyone know the rhyme or reason for the different holes in the ejector?

Now there is a question!!! I have noticed the same thing... just never contemplated it... Guess I'll go in the gun room and fool around interchanging till something happens!!! MV

The types of holes don;t really matter, the ejectors are interchangable. Just make sure tha they are fromthe right series. (98's, 95-96, etc.) The main thinhg to look for is proper length.

The reason I've always ben told about the slot vs hole is that the slot was to cushion the blow of the ejector by allowing it to slide backward some. I've noticed that the slots were used more by the Germans and round holes by the Czechs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The oval holes in the 98 german ejector was an extra step done to help prevent broken ejectors. It will move rearward as a cushion.

-Don

Ever check out the face of the ejector box bolt stop lug in your M98, these sometimes show considerable setback due to having the left bolt lug smash into them during extraction. The only thing holding the ejector box in place is a long slender screw which is occassionly bent due to misfit of the ejector blade, leaving the screw shank to accept the force of the blow from the retracted bolt's left lug.

The force of this blow is supposed to be transmitted by the ejector blade to the heavy flat spring dovetailed into the side of the ejector box. The spring is pushed to one side, disapating the the blow. Paul Mauser built in an oval hole in the ejector blade to allow for hammering of the bolt stop lug, which automatically allows the ejector blase to move further back without transmitting the blow to the ejector box screw.The primary reason I bring up all this detail is to illustrate not only the genius of the inventor, but also the incredible detail with which these rifles were designed and produced.

And, if the ejection of your Mauser is weak, slowly unscrew the ejector box screw, watching to see if the ejector box moves slightly in or out as you turn the screw. If this happenes it means the ejector screw in bent, likely due to the ejector blade striking it to some degree rather than the blade striking it's full force against the flat spring. You could lengthen the front of the hole in the ejector blade, allowing more rearward movement, enlarging the hole (the Czech solution for acheiving the same result), or you may have a short extractor blade which needs replacing. In any case straighten the screw, easily done on a flat piece of hardwood using a hammer and brass punch to rebend the high spot in the screw shaft, easily seen when rolling the screw along the piece of hardwood. Bill