Military Firearm Restoration Corner

98 Hinged Floorplate

bobmoffett

Hey Guys

I am new to this website and have been admiring the hinged floorplates. I've got a couple of '98s I'm working on and would like to install some hinged floorplates. I prefer the release inside of the bow, not the current Zastava side button style. I am looking for suggestions on the various options. The options I can come up with are:

1) Buy a used Mark X trigger guard and plate (seems a bit pricey).

2) Buy a cast guard and plate from Numrich (I understand these are not the best, but are they ok with some work?).

3) Buy a military guard and modify.

I have a good machine shop and I'm a pretty decent machinist, but not a great welder. I'm thinking that I might be able to start with a Turk guard and install one of the straddle floorplates, but I'm not sure how to modify the bow to to match the 1909 profile. Should I start with another guard beside the Turk? It looks like some of the guards in other posts already have the bow profile of the 1909 Argies.

Looking for any and all suggestions. Thanks

Do a search here and on the gunsmiting forum for posts by DonMarkey. He has some great pics and a how to on modifying a standard guard.

The 4th option is to find 1909 bottom metal.

Oh, and welcome to the site!