Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Measure Twice, Cut Once... Dosent Seem That Hard!?!

brian923

:lol:!?! okay, okay, i can admit when ive goofed, and i did. i was throwing around the idea of buying a new stock for my turk mauser rebuild. but, after thinking, and a couple gentlemen givin me a "BRILLIANT IDEA"... i decided to use the military stock instead. figured if i messed up, the gun only cost 35$, so no big deal.

so... i wanted to x-ney the top wood piece that goes around the rear sight, so.. i took it off. i then held the stock in all the shooting positions to see where i wanted to shorten it to. i made my desision and cut the bottom stock piece just the opposite side of the barrel strap.(closer to twoard the shooter) ya know, the one that holds the upper piece of wood on also. well, after lookin at it, i placed the upper piece back on the rifle and.... wow, that looks kinda cool. it completly covers the step in the barrel, and looks really neat. just one problem...(and i know some of you already know what comin :lol: ) how to hold the top piece on the gun?????????? this.... the question i cant seem to figure out. i need your guys help for this one. any suggestions on how to hold the top piece of wood on?? sorry, i dropped my wifes camera :o (another reason for the budjet build) so i have no pic's right now. thank you for all the help, brian

hi brian. My yugo had a 1/2 moon shaped metal clip attached to the underside of the top piece of wood where the rear sight goes. What if you made a clip,like a C shape, and use a screw to attatch it to the underside of your piece of wood.Worth a try. just my .035 worth. Dave : <_<

This option may expose the step in the barrel, but you could always shorten the top piece at the same spot, then relieve a new groove in the top and bottom stock pieces for the barrel strap. Who says the barrel strap has to go in the same spot on the stock? Just back it up a little. I think I remember seeing an article once about a fake carbine made this way.

:) hey brian 923, I found one of those clips I was talkin' about earlier in my parts bin. Would you like it. I'll just give it to ya if a want it. PM me your addy and I'll send it out in a few days. Dave