Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Turk 8x57 To 6.5 X55...

brian923

i hear some people say that all you need to make a "TWEED" is to take the barrel off of my turk (chamberes in 8x57) and replace it with a 6.5 sweede barrel. is this all that is needed???? i know that i will have to headpsace of corse, but is that it?

I think so but not too sure, donmarkey or zlr should know. been thinkin 'bout one myself though! Dave

i hear some people say that all you need to make a "TWEED" is to take the barrel off of my turk (chamberes in 8x57) and replace it with a 6.5 sweede barrel. is this all that is needed???? i know that i will have to headpsace of corse, but is that it?

Basically yes, but, you may also need to adjust the shank & shoulder length. Some consider this part of headspacing which, to an extent, it is.

It stacks up about the same as the .260 Rem with 2/3's the pressure. 6.5x55 has been used as a sporting cartridge for close to a hundred years. Its easy to load for, easy on the shoulder, and kills quickly and cleanly. Try it, you'll like it.

The Twede conversion is superb. I did one 2 years ago and used a new barrel from the Swedish Mauser that was 29" long. The converted action and barrel dropped right back into the Turk stock. Only by looking at the smaller bore could you tell a change has been made. I later glass bedded the action, free floated the barrel, installed a Timney trigger, Lyman receiver sight and a taller front sight.

With select hand loads it will shoot 5 shot groups consistently at 1" at 100 yds with the iron sights. My 65 year old eyes can't do much better than that.

The cartridge will handle all North American game except the big bears. It's long, slender length gives superb penetration and it is the number one moose cartridge in Sweden. In the Mauser 98 action it can be loaded a little stouter than in the older, weaker M96 action and the 29" barrel squeezes all the velocity possible out of the round. If you're not a reloader, factory ammo is available from all the major ammo companies.

Rich P

Rich,

Did you go with the Turk sights on the Swede barrel? I've go the same project under way but using the M96 Swede rear and front sights and realized the Swede rear sight won't fit the cutout in the Turk handguard, so I got a Swede handguard. Should still pass for a Turk at a glance. I assumed the 6.5x55 POI would be way above POA at the longer ranges if I kept the Turk sights.

Nels

which one of the mauser rounds do you guys think is the best an d why?? just wondering, brian

also, have seen a round thet is called the "6.5x57" would this round give any advantage over the 6.5x55 sweede round? i know that the case is probably different, but does it give any benifit?

The 6.5X55 and the 6.5X57 should perform almost identically. The 6.5X55 is shorter but has a slightly fatter case.

6.5X55 has the advantage that loaded ammunition is available in the USA.

6.5X57 can easily formed from 7X57 or 257 Roberts brass. It also requires no bolt face modifications. Most "55" brass sold in the USA uses the standard .473 (30'06) rim, but my Yugo 55 brass is the full .480 rim.

The "55" is better for the off-the-shelf shooter, and the "57" is better for the handloader (in that you can use other brass).

I could live with either. Both are technically commercial, but the 57 has never been popular in the USA and is practically a wildcat cartridge. For a new custom rifle, I'd prefer the 57.

which one of the mauser rounds do you guys think is the best an d why??

Best for what? I have many 8X57's but I really like my 7X57's.

I haven't killed anything with them yet but I have no dought they'll do the job.

Kenny