Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Romanian or Yugo

NorthWind762

A local dealer near me is carrying SKS's. (I have never owned an SKS) He has multiple Yugo's in various conditions. He also has two Romanian Sks's in stock. Whats the better manufactured rifle Rom-Yugo the Yugos are nice and slightly cheaper, the Roms are decent also. is there a difference between these rifles other than the launcher?

accurary difference or what?

Thanks fellas

NW

Out.

Dont know much about the Romanian's but a while back I ordered a 4 fer deal on the Yugos thinking I'd get one that really stood out in some way ,but they all looked the same ,same trigger pull and they all shot the same.All 4 have pretty stiff triggers compared to my Chinese SKS but they all shoot really well I think.Using Wolf FMJ and the issue iron sights all 4 will put 10 rounds into a baseball size group at 75 yards using my truck bed for a rest.The night sights are all the same too,about done for but I was just pretty tickled with how they shoot.Wish I could be more help. Jim

I don't have a Romanian, as the prices have gone through the roof on these locally, when you can find them, but I do have a Yugoslavian M59 (without the launcher) and an Albanian SKS. I like them both.

Sphingta is correct in that the Yugoslavian SKSs don't have chromed bores...now some people will tell you that it's a problem, but honestly I don't see it...a great number of the guns that I shoot don't have chromed bores and there's no accuracy problems that I've found. Then again, I am not a prize-winning shot either.

Some people theorize that the chromed bores are a detriment to accuracy, in that they reduce the bore diameter enough to affect accuracy, but I think that's hogwash! Basically, all a chromed bore really does is make cleaning the bore easier...particularly if you shoot corrosive ammunition and don't get around to cleaning the bore as quickly as you should.

My Albanian has a chromed bore, but I wouldn't say that it's my best SKS...I do think that the Yugoslavian is a bit more accurate.

For the decision you face in choosing between the Romanian and the Yugoslavian SKS, I would choose the Romanian, because they are getting harder to acquire, the quality of these particular SKSs is excellent as well, some would say that the Romanian SKS is better than it's Russian counterpart. I think that like the Russian SKSs, the Romanians have chromed bores, if that makes a difference to you.

The Yugoslavian SKSs are everywhere, and while I am sure that the supply won't last forever, it should hold out long enough for you to shoot your Romanian SKS and decide whether you actually like the style/accuracy/nature of the SKS before you jump in feet first. The Romanian, if you like it, is a great SKS to start with and if you don't like it, has excellent resale value, comparatively speaking.

I hope that helps!

• 3 months later...
A local dealer near me is carrying SKS's. (I have never owned an SKS) He has multiple Yugo's in various conditions. He also has two Romanian Sks's in stock. Whats the better manufactured rifle Rom-Yugo the Yugos are nice and slightly cheaper, the Roms are decent also. is there a difference between these rifles other than the launcher?

accurary difference or what?

Thanks fellas

NW

Out.

2518[/snapback]

I've got Russian,Yugo, Chinese, and a Romanian SKS. IMHO, buy the Romanian while you still can find one. Of all the SKS's that have been imported, the Romanian and the Albanian will probably increase in price the most.