Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Anyone Have Good Loads For The M28-30?

mikeh3

Lapua Oy still makes D-47 and D-166 bullets that was originally used by the Finns for this rifle. You will have to load them into your cases but these are match quality bullets. Any Lapua loading manual will work for you. Also the Lapua cases are the best ones you can use for accuracy and durability.

Anyone have good loads for the M28-30? I have IMR3031,4895,4350,4831,5010,RL19,RL22,WC852 powder. I would be using a Mil-surplus .308 174 grain match bullet. Any would be appreciated.

4895 and 4350 would be my choice, save the 3031 for lighter bullets. The others I've never used. 4350 did a great job for me accuracy wise in 8MM, 7.65 Argie and 7.7 Jap. 3031 is great in 223 and 30/30. Might want to consider hanging on to the match grade slugs and using cheapies in the Nagant. An old timer I used to hunt with years ago amazed me with the tiny groups he got at a 100 yards with an issue sighted 03 Springfield using match grade bullets he stuffed with an old Lee Loader. He gave a 100 or so to another in our group that used them in a M-1A with a match grade barrel and again amazing long range accuracy. I know it is your property to do as you please but it seems to me any way to be a waste to use them in a Nagant's larger than .308 bore. Just take a look at the price of Sierra Match King slugs for comparison. If you do or ever will own a 30 caliber rifle you will wish you still had them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...